Feedback on my first video

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Jelle I think you need to start using a nice scoop for putting soil in pots instead of using your hands. ;)
And maybe a nicer watering can (I think I have read somewhere that you are interested in a copper watering can).

PieterVE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I must be crazy, but I do not really do anything there either. Just water the trees and be done with it. They are babies not trees.

Ehr, got that the wrong way around?

I have to protect my babies, and I mean literally the little ones, because they dry out so quickly with temperatures at 35°C or 95F for several days and a constant drying wind...
Even the bigger trees suffer and if I don't water 2 or 3 times a day the pots are filled with like concrete...

So I have shade netting at the moment but that's only this week though with the heatwave, if that's over the netting comes off.

Attachments

• 20220811_085139.jpg
    20220811_085139.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220811_085200.jpg
    20220811_085200.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 6

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel like we might have been a little pushy, @leatherback. Sorry if you feel that we have been. If you're not going for numbers, I completely understand.
I think we're all just very excited for you and trying to be encouraging.
Don't worry. Some great ideas. And I would like to have a successfull channel. It remains a mystery to me though why some videos take off like a rocket and others just go..meh!

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't worry. Some great ideas. And I would like to have a successfull channel. It remains a mystery to me though why some videos take off like a rocket and others just go..meh!
The determining factors for the varying success of your videos (in my opinion):
- Not everyone has the same tree that you are dealing with at the time
- People always watch videos for the techniques or questions that the he/she has at that moment.
So it may well be that next year the videos that are not doing so well now will again be attracting more viewers.

PieterVE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or, like me, I had a vacation, and so no time to watch YouTube, but now I'm back at work and will have time, after working hours ;) to watch again so I'll catch'up with all the videos coming week or 2 ...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The determining factors for the varying success of your videos (in my opinion):
- Not everyone has the same tree that you are dealing with at the time
- People always watch videos for the techniques or questions that the he/she has at that moment.
So it may well be that next year the videos that are not doing so well now will again be attracting more viewers.
Yes, and no.. I can very clearly see how videos do. THe YT statistics pages are really extensive. I just see people not watching. And if a video drops below a certain threshold, chances of it catching up are slim what I can tell so far. But agreed. THe video should be on-topic, especially for content videos!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel like we might have been a little pushy, @leatherback. Sorry if you feel that we have been. If you're not going for numbers, I completely understand.
I think we're all just very excited for you and trying to be encouraging.
Sorry, but no. No excuses. That is just not right.
Just join the party. You made me do this.
I cannot believe I hosed myself down in full clothes and packed my bonsai in a fridge for you!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry, but no. No excuses. That is just not right.
Just join the party. You made me do this.
I cannot believe I hosed myself down in full clothes and packed my bonsai in a fridge for you!

🤣🤣🤣 Well don't we all feel special now?

I do think @Kadebe is on to something. Yes, the longer a video goes without being watched, the less likely it is to recover, but the content that viewers are specifically looking for changes seasonally. If you were to post a Christmas video now it would get no views, but in December you would see a relatively huge spike, then again next year only larger because because the algorithm has determined the timely nature of the video.
So to help the "slow burn" effect of recently posted videos for future seasons, just don't be too specific about when YOU are making the video and why. This helps viewers feel like you're talking about their situation at the time even if it's actually been two years.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
just don't be too specific about when YOU are making the video and why. This helps viewers feel like you're talking about their situation at the time even if it's actually been two years.
Yup, this is why I try to refrain from mentioning the year. And mostly refer to the season, sometimes the month.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you need to ask Chan if he can borrow you some subscribers lol, he's gone past 100, 000 now I think. good stuff
Insane numbers! I do not think Peter knows of my existence :)

I am still trying to figure out why people come to watch these videos and have had some videos really missing and some really hitting it off. It is an interesting journey!

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Insane numbers! I do not think Peter knows of my existence :)

I am still trying to figure out why people come to watch these videos and have had some videos really missing and some really hitting it off. It is an interesting journey!
Sooo.... you didn't read my explanation?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sooo.... you didn't read my explanation?
Of course I did. That being said.. It still does not explain the massive differences in responses. Especially if I sometimes watch some of the other channels and see some videos getting 100K or more views seemingly without effort. I really try to understand what these big channels do that makes them get 5K views in one hour, to push into 50K in a few days, where I am struggling to get a consistent 1K views on my videos.

I just do not understand how this works

:)

Top Bottom