Feedback on this soil mix

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Based on a lot of reading and research I'm trying this soil mix. Central Pennsylvania, 6a. All components are sifted between 1/4" and 1/8".
  • 1 part diatomaceous earth (Napa 8822)
  • 1 part lava
  • 1 part pumice
  • 1 part fir bark fines (chopped and sifted ReptiBark from PetCo)
It clearly drains fast, but I'm not yet sure how much moisture it will retain and how long I can go between waterings. Ideally, I'd rather not have to be super vigilant in watering. I'm pretty new and am starting easy with mostly tropicals (ficus, portulacaria, crassula, brazilian rain tree, juniper procumbens nana, etc.), but plan to branch out (hah) in the spring to more collected material and nursery stock. My questions are:
  1. Is this a good all-purpose mix to use for conifers, deciduous, and tropicals? Or would you adjust components based on species?
  2. Do all of these components provide a distinct value, or are there things here that are redundant/unnecessary?
  3. Any other thoughts on this mix that you have for a noob?

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I basically use this exact mix for most of my plants that arent in refinement. I live in zone 10 though, so cant speak to winter hardiness.

Can P. Afra survive in that weather? Or do you have a greenhouse?

For the portulacaria i would lose the pine bark though, they dont need it that wet. The 8822 will keep it wet enough. I used to just go lava/pumice, but now that I have watering and fertilizing down for them I find adding 8822 gives me stronger growth.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can P. Afra survive in that weather? Or do you have a greenhouse?

For the portulacaria i would lose the pine bark though, they dont need it that wet.

All the tropicals will be indoors in the winter in a south-facing window. Maybe with supplemental lighting.

I think you're right: I can get rid of the bark for the ports and the jades since they are better to be too dry than too wet. Thanks!

Top Bottom