Feedback / suggestions requested!

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For this "beta" test of the bonsainut site, I'd like to ask people to feel free to make suggestions about the site organization, their experiences with registering, logging on, posting, etc.

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
Hi My query is why do 'New Posts' disappear so quickly? This could have the knock on effect of people losing interest,something at this embryonic stage, would not be a desired option.

Ash :confused:

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've enjoyed the first few weeks I've been a part of this pforum. I like the comments and the people making those comments. I'd encourage members to make more frequent posts. It is a bit disheartening to sign on and see the same old threads on the board.

... and don't forget the pictures!

PS I've really enjoyed some of the Japanese sites that have been posted.

paddles

Yamadori
Reaction score
I must admit that I've been looking at other forums, mainly due to lack of activity. Whilst many have been very welcoming and encouraging (To a fair beginner like me) I personaly like to see more interaction, sort of, this is what I did, what did you, would you, do? whilst I understand different things, it is important to encourage "all" levels of competence, If that's the sort of forum you want. Mind you, that might not be what you want?

In the past I have browsed in forums that I found too ? High Brow? for me, too critical, without being helpfull. I would warn against getting this attitude.

Remember there is no such thing as a perfect bonsai, what one person likes another will dislike.

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
Barry i'm not talking about keeping the threads on forever but rather based on bonsaiTALK as an example. It isn't rocket science to retain the posts based on a time sequence i.e. hours, days etc. and based on last time visited.

Ash

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not much action here or anyother forum except for some rehash. I attribute it to the holidays. My opinion is that this forum as the "Right Stuff" meat and potatoes and not alot of fluff. I find that with some of the other forums that there is so much other extras. That it becomes a social event and a lot of what we are here for gets lost. Greg you are doing an exceptional job with this forum keep it up.

One thing of note: A few times I have posted a reply it doesn't post. Either I had to rewrite and post or abandon it due to time constraints. I assume the post is lost to cyberspace and can be attributed to an electronic fart.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I assume the post is lost to cyberspace and can be attributed to an electronic fart.

Hmmm. Can you... smell those?

Sorry, I know that was a fluff response. I couldn't resist. Back to meat and potatoes next year.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A point in case is that 5 mins. ago the last post that I put up does not figure.

Ash

Thanks for your input Ash. Right now there are three "recent post" identfiers:

1) The "new post" link at the top of the page that lists posts since your last visit (which is what you are refering to).

2) The colored japanese maple leaves next to the forums (which will turn color if a new post is added during your same visit).

3) The "recent posts" listing on the main page which displays the most current (I think 8) posts on the site.

Let me see if there is some way I can creatively add a "recent posts" list to the "new posts" area.

- Greg

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not much action here or anyother forum except for some rehash. I attribute it to the holidays. My opinion is that this forum as the "Right Stuff" meat and potatoes and not alot of fluff. I find that with some of the other forums that there is so much other extras. That it becomes a social event and a lot of what we are here for gets lost.

I attribute it to the holidays, the season (Winter), and the fact that we only have a handful of members so far. The traffic on the site has been increasing tremendously per month, but about 75% of traffic is from guests who don't post. I don't mind guests but they don't understand that it is the interplay of ideas that makes a site like this work.

I could post more, but I have been backing off so that I don't represent such a high % of the total post count. I just bought 10 Japanese maples, a decent liquidamber, a seiju elm that I will layer in a month, etc. However I will wait and gradually add stuff to the forums. I would think people would get bored after a while. For example, I'm not sure how much people enjoy me posting stuff from Japan - it is interesting but somewhat like a slideshow.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Of course, it goes without saying that if each member went out and invited two new people to the forums, we'd have plenty of conversation :) One thing I like about the group so far is that we have a high number of nursery owners and gardening professionals. I'd like to maintain that if possible, though many pros don't seem as excited about coming to boards and being asked a lot of questions :)

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm not sure how much people enjoy me posting stuff from Japan - it is interesting but somewhat like a slide show.

At least its not home movies:) I remember my Dad doing that as a kid, My Brother and I thought he was the Marquee De Sade.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Suggestion-- Tried to post new year greeting 3 times and none of the posts took. While at the other two posts in different threads did take.....are you censoring me:D Just kid'n this isn't the first time so maybe there is a clich in da system.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Suggestion-- Tried to post new year greeting 3 times and none of the posts took. While at the other two posts in different threads did take.....are you censoring me:D Just kid'n this isn't the first time so maybe there is a clich in da system.

The announcements forum isn't really intended for conversation - it is a moderated forum so I have to approve all the posts. Doesn't mean the posts won't take - I just have to approve them so it might be an hour or two.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
For example, I'm not sure how much people enjoy me posting stuff from Japan - it is interesting but somewhat like a slideshow.
I say keep it up. I really appreciate the Japanese links and photos. I'm not seeing that stuff on other forums. It gives BN a defined personality. I'm not trying to editorialize but I can compare this to Bonsai Today when all of the articles were translated Japanese. Now that there are less of those in Bonsai Today or the photos are more multinational I find a craving for more Japanese stuff.

Just a thought...

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just have to approve them so it might be an hour or two.

Ahhhhh......gotcha......here I thought I was lose' it :)

Nigel Black

Yamadori
Reaction score
BN,

I know this isn't what you were asking for but I've got to say it:

This site needs a book forum. The bonsai book market is glutted with
titles and it really helps to know what's worth a persons hard earned dollars
and what is just a waste of perfectly good trees.

Having spent more than I care to admit on bonsai books, I know of what I speak.

Nigel

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Before this thread gets too long...

This whole FORUM is for suggestions. So don't feel you have to add to this thread. If you have a new suggestion, feel free to start a new thread on this forum.

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
Sumo style

How about a spot in the forum to post sumo style?

Mike

Top Bottom