Feedback welcomed: “Should My Bonsai Tree Go Outdoors?” (flowchart)

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please don’t turn this into an argument :cool:

I welcome constructive on this flowchart I just whipped up — https://www.bonsainut.com/resources/should-my-bonsai-tree-go-outdoors.39/ << full PDF here!

Remixes and spoofs are very welcome—how would you neutrally and gently guide somebody to answers on this often asked question? I’m hoping that accurate, widely applicable information will be productive. I’ve also put some thought into preventing this from being too specific or having major exceptions.

…of course, time, money, and a foolhardy attitude can surely come close to overcoming any obstacle ;)

Attachments

• Should My Bonsai Tree Go Outdoors_.png
    Should My Bonsai Tree Go Outdoors_.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 588

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I may be off on the lighting figure. Corrections are wanted!

Sources…

For solar energy comparisons, start here and then work your way into the sources of that page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_irradiance

For building air changes, see official engineering guidelines on this page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_changes_per_hour

For greenhouse air change rates: https://ag.umass.edu/greenhouse-floriculture/fact-sheets/ventilation-for-greenhouses

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please don’t turn this into an argument :cool:

I welcome constructive on this flowchart I just whipped up — https://www.bonsainut.com/resources/should-my-bonsai-tree-go-outdoors.39/ << full PDF here!

Remixes and spoofs are very welcome—how would you neutrally and gently guide somebody to answers on this often asked question? I’m hoping that accurate, widely applicable information will be productive. I’ve also put some thought into preventing this from being too specific or having major exceptions.

…of course, time, money, and a foolhardy attitude can surely come close to overcoming any obstacle ;)
I love it. I think there are a few small tweaks to be made, of which I need to think on a bit. And I’m sure other members will have great input. But even as is, this is a wonderful graphic to post as this issue is seen frequently. Well done @parhamr

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A little hard to read as it's kind of small, when I enlarge then I can't scroll to see it all. But a good resource. How about one for should I repot?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Some of the working is a little indirect. For example - is my tree a tropical? No - it may deplete its resources. I think it would be better to say something along the lines of "deciduous trees require a period of dormancy to stay alive".

Also, I'm not sure how you address this directly, but there is a huge difference between keeping a tree "indoors" in a greenhouse, versus keeping it "indoors" on your kitchen table. Rather than a flowchart, it might be better to go with a checklist - i.e.:

You CANNOT keep a bonsai tree indoors unless the following criteria are ALL met:

(1) It MUST be a tropical tree - not deciduous.

(2) You MUST be able to provide ALL of the following:
(a) Light
(b) Air flow
(c) Humidity
(d) Water

(3) Even IF you can provide all of the above, there are still challenges
(a) Pests
(b) Disease

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I totally agree! The one minor exception is for olives. In my climate, I keep my olives outside 95% percent of the time. (I haven’t actually done the math, it’s a guesstimate). They stay out even during the winter. I only bring them in if it’s going to go below 28 degrees for an extended period of time. They can handle a light frost.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would like to see one by @Adair M as it would all lead to boxes with It Depends in them....LOL.
Judy, what decision? Of COURSE the trees go outside! I don’t do “tropicals”! Lol!!!

The only exception are my olives, which I mentioned above.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have to ask, yes it is!
Maybe make a super complicated looking flow chart with lots of bubbles and questions with every line and flow eventually leading to “yes it is”. 😂

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
(...) flow chart with lots of (...)

Probably OK where it was made, with the trees that the one who made it. but there can't be a "template" for all trees, everywhere : the same species can require different treatments depending on where you live, what soil you're using, etc.

I only grow trees that don't need winter protection but some leaves or mulch above the rim of the pot in winter, and that can survive an unusual hot, dry summer. That is, trees that will thrive in my local environment, not under artificial lights or in the fridge.

The list of trees that can become beautiful trees/bonsai is so vast, why bother to have olive trees when you live in Alaska, or larch when you live in Monaco ?

All my trees go outdoors, and stay there.

Actually, all bonsai are outdoor trees : the ones that are sold as "indoor" bonsai are plants that can stay outside all year long where they come from.

It's vain to try and have bougainvillea or olive tree in Oregon or larch in Marseille or in Palermo.

Unless you want to invest in hundreds of $ or € for a lot of hassle to try and make an "artificial tree". Not worth the money, the time and the work, the result will always be at best "not so bad".

I have enough (local) "not so bad trees" not to waste my time on trying to make an unadapted tree survive here. :D

So to me the answer to the question is definitely :

Yes : trees are not guinea pigs or parrots, or pets that you keep indoors. Let them free ! :D

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I use Visio a lot at work, and so I was very pleasantly surprised to see such a well-designed process flow. Nice job!

I would only suggest one thing, and only if you’re concerned about “following the rules” of process flows. Every decision is supposed to have at least two options coming out of it, and your last decision only has one. Perhaps in your very bottom decision, you could add a “No” option that leads to a terminator that says something along the lines of, “Great! Keep it outdoors and have fun with it :)

Even if you decide not to add this, it still looks very nice! Thanks for creating and sharing this.

Top Bottom