Feeding air layers

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was wondering when you guys start feeding your air layers after separation. For example, you separate a Japanese Maple, put it into mostly inorganic mix with 25% pine bark, how long do you wait till you fertilize after separating? I’m attempting to not burn new roots. Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I guess in the early stages when the airlayer starts to move and growing after separation you could use a light foliar feeding, that avoids any possibility or burning the new tender roots, if the tree responds well and grows nicely then start regular organic root fertilizer

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I start immediately with a foliar feed.
But this late in the season it depends on the plant. Maples in my climate and this late would get a very light feeding if at all.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
avoids any possibility or burning the new tender roots
^^^ This is critical. Remember, a tree is "fed" by photosynthesis. It gets water and nutrients via the roots. Until the moment you separate the air-layer, it has all the water and nutrients it needs from the parent tree. It can go for a while without needing any fertilization. Be very cautious not to burn the new roots.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I usually start liquid feed a few days after repotting or separating layers. My mix also has controlled release fert which starts releasing nutrients as soon as the soil is watered. I have never had any problem with burnt roots when using any fert at proper concentrations. The part of any root that absorbs water and nutrients is the active growing tip so in that sense, every root on every plant is 'new' roots.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
When the roots go from white to light brown, I feed with a weak solution of liquid fert. with this, if using foil.

Attachments

• syringe.jpeg
    syringe.jpeg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1
Top Bottom