Feeding every 2 weeks

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm reading a few species require feeding every 2 weeks, ie Japanese Yew and English Hornbeam that i have. I use Green Dream Organic fertiliser but i use that 4-6 weeks. So what is this every 2 weeks? Does this mean supplement liquid fertiliser every 2 weeks?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Dont get bogged down with feeding regimes mate. trees will do just fine without. a sprinkle of green dream on the surface is pretty much all you need. sometimes i add a capful of tomorite to a 5 litre watering can at random times during watering. i have hornbeams too and they dont need to be fed every two weeks:)

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
I really am taking it beyond the universe lol i'm getting bogged down with it all.

Ok mate cheers i also use Green dream Seaweed

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm reading a few species require feeding every 2 weeks, ie Japanese Yew and English Hornbeam that i have. I use Green Dream Organic fertiliser but i use that 4-6 weeks. So what is this every 2 weeks? Does this mean supplement liquid fertiliser every 2 weeks?

Graham Potter has done a good review of that product and shares how and when to use it... I don't use it but I can tell you for certain when I fertilize how much I use and when varies by the type of plant and weather here.

Here is the link - http://www.kaizenbonsai.com/bonsai-tree-care-information/green-dream-bonsai-fertiliser-faqs

Grimmy

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
G potter pretty much nails it in the article, the main point is what are you trying to achieve and i think re doses etc its well explained there. of course, every enthusiast will have there own way of doing things. just keep it simple:)

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
Cheers guys.

G potter did write-

In autumn the last application of Green Dream should be 2-4 weeks before leaf fall of deciduous trees and about two weeks before total dormancy of evergreen species. In practice (in the southern half of the U.K) this is likely to be the third week of October and the end of November respectively. Buy Green Dream Bonsai Fertilizer Now

Anyone in the UK goes by the last fertiliser application that he mentions?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
nope. usually just stop feeding when the trees begin to slow down and aren't actively growing. probably around sept/oct. if theres anything left on the surface i just leave it be.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In the winter, most trees stop growing and don't need fertilizer. As a part of the end of season chores, do "soji". Scrape off 1/2 to 3/4 inch of the top soil, and replace it with fresh bonsai soil. This removes the fines from old organic ferts, algae, weed seed, etc. Soil can develop a "crust" that inhibits water and air from penetrating. Soji keeps the soil fresh.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Soil can develop a "crust" that inhibits water and air from penetrating. Soji keeps the soil fresh.

Well stated, even more so for Organic Substrate. On the Organics I usually do that 3 times a year, Spring, Summer, & Fall. Anything outdoors does not receive any fertilizer at all when they start dropping leaf. It is my signal to also stop on Junipers and other plants.
My tropicals come indoors and I cut way back on fertilizer all Winter as I found it usually just produces more leggy growth.

Grimmy

Top Bottom