Feeding submerged bald cypress

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
After reading the material and seeing the photos on Mellow Mullet’s website (http://www.heartofdixiebonsai.com) of phenominal BC tree growth associated with growing while submerged I was convinced to give it a try this year. I have a 30’ long recirculating pondless stream/waterfall in my backyard that has some nice pools where I can place the trees while keeping the roots cool and well aerated. I also may try growing one in a separate tub like he does for a comparison. However my question, and this may be for John, is what do you do about fertilizing a submerged tree? I assume that since it is not totally under water that you occasionally apply some fertilizer to the soil surface and allow it to move into the soil as it dissolves. Anyone else have any experiences to share on this method? Here’s a photo of the stream without the BC.

4A00F00E-BDF2-4C1D-ADE7-B67BCD8600F7.jpeg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Hey, that is nice, I wish I had room for that in my back yard.

As for feeding, I use osmocote extended release. Just a handful thrown on top of the soil a couple of times a year, and two or three times during the growing season I give them a shot of Miracle Grow (used loosely to describe whatever of that type is on sale). The trees really don't need as much fertilizer as we tend to give them. Anyway, that's what I do. Oh, and thanks for checking out the site, it is a work in progress.

John

Top Bottom