Female Youpon Holly first styling

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The tree after cleaning out the dead branches and other unneeded stuff and upward growing branches etc..
file_zpsfa0df0dc.jpg

After a hard pruning, This pruning could probably have been a little harder but I cheated a little, This will be the framework upon which the future structure of the tree will be built. After it buds out I'll probably cut back a little bit more.
file_zps46512399.jpg

This tree was root pruned once before when it went from a 5 gallon can to a shallow cut off training pot. After the second root pruning- these guys have nice dense fiberous root system that don't seem to mind drastic reduction. This is an ideal root system shallow, flat on the bottom filled with fine feeder roots.
file_zps2f82702d.jpg

Planted in a training pot. It'll stay in this pot for two years. In that time I'll do a little carving and ramification development then I'll put it into a glazed pot that will show off the berries.
file_zpsdc21864a.jpg

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This wound up looking a lot better than I had imagined. Can we assume you'll be using clip and grow only on hollies? (hate to assume, sorry)

Nice transformation!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice transformation!

Hate to be the party pooper again but really? I don't see any transformation...it is pure pruning.

I've seen Bob do great things but not on this one. To his defense, not much to work on to begin with. Nice root work though. :)

Sorry, have to call spade a spade.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hate to be the party pooper again but really? I don't see any transformation...it is pure pruning.

I've seen Bob do great things but not on this one. To his defense, not much to work on to begin with. Nice root work though. :)

I know English isn't your first language. I'll assist you this dreary morning:

trans·for·ma·tion (trăns′fər-mā′shən, -fôr-)
n.
a. The act or an instance of transforming.
b. The state of being transformed.
2. A marked change, as in appearance or character, usually for the better.
3. Mathematics
a. Replacement of the variables in an algebraic expression by their values in terms of another set of variables.
b. A mapping of one space onto another or onto itself.
4. Linguistics
a. A rule that systematically converts one syntactic form or form of a sentence into another.
b. A construction or sentence derived by such a rule; a transform.
5. Genetics
a. The change undergone by an animal cell upon infection by a cancer-causing virus.
b. The alteration of a bacterial cell caused by the transfer of DNA from another bacterial cell, especially a pathogen.

You tell me this tree doesn't look better for the work done to it. Now tell me it's appearance isn't changed. Even if it's just pruning. Okay, now that we're on the same page. This IS a transformation. So is a haircut. Now take that spade and dig up a better argument.

Now talk about the tree and never mind the big words. I'll not be responding to you again in this thread Dario.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There are different levels of "transformation". In bonsai, I put the word in a "higher standard".

Poking a dent on block of clay is transformation? To me it is not, turning it into a sculpture or a nice pot is. :)

Again, nothing personal...I actually admire your work but as I said, not much to work on this tree and you hardly did anything but selective pruning (which may require knowledge, experience, & talent).

I am also out of this thread.

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What a "Debbie Downer" Dario...... Nice Youpon bonsaibp!

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Youpon holly

First I like what you've done so far. Second how can you tell it's a female plant? Thanks Pete

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

There are different levels of "transformation". In bonsai, I put the word in a "higher standard".

Poking a dent on block of clay is transformation? To me it is not, turning it into a sculpture or a nice pot is. :)

Again, nothing personal...I actually admire your work but as I said, not much to work on this tree and you hardly did anything but selective pruning (which may require knowledge, experience, & talent).

Huh, I don't get it...what were you expecting, and what exactly are you trying to say? You're all over the place.
Fwiw, I think Bob did pretty much all he could do with the material, and took it to a new level.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
First I like what you've done so far. Second how can you tell it's a female plant? Thanks Pete
Cause when it was naked I could see...........
Actually because it produces hundreds of little holly berries every year and only the female does that.

Huh, I don't get it...what were you expecting, and what exactly are you trying to say? You're all over the place.
Fwiw, I think Bob did pretty much all he could do with the material, and took it to a new level.

Thanks but in a way Dario is right. Basically all I did was prune, yes I pruned with a future vision in mind and I paid attention to the direction of the buds I left etc, I did'n t really transform this as I did say to this juniper http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?13735-Let-s-try-to-style-a-juniper

What I did was to create a framework for the future transformation of this tree. With deciduous and broadleaf evergreens it takes more time to "transform" a tree. It's a process to build up the branches and ramification that takes time to do it right. With junipers very often in one sitting you can take a bush and transform it into something that looks quite bonsai like.

What really gets me though is how easily threads get sidetracked because of semantics . Sometimes I think we just need to relax a little and remember this is should be fun and everyone is allowed to their opinion. Right, wrong or otherwise.

Top Bottom