Feminine or masculine

Do you see a feminine or masculine tree when you look at this pyracantha?

• Feminine

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • Masculine

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You know....not only like @Tieball said about picking out the trunk....
View attachment 271475

That velvety background.....
Would be red if the fruits we're not there.
It oddly blends the earthy rust color into the red fruit. This is bad.

Try a white background..
The fruit in relation to the rust color has a different harmony then.
The white in the pot becomes more appropriate.

Less competing colors.

I believe this can be an excellent excersize on background color.

Sorce
I've not investedin a background yet. Nor was I trying to show a quality photograph. Just a better trunk image. For the one who said they couldn't see it. 😉 No thought other than the trunk was applied in this photography.
I'm just plain vanilla...trying to allow one to see the trunk. The berries are just there because I've not removed them yet. Lol 🤷

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The whole masculine - feminine idea is somewhat bogus when it comes to applying it to anything other than humans. But it is a short hand for "curves vs angular" in terms of aesthetics.

Flowering and fruit trees are usually treated as "feminine". Pot choice should be made to complement the tree for the season it will be most often put on display, either public shows, or brought into the home. The colors should not match the flowers or fruit, but rather compliment the flowers or fruit. The exception is when the tree will be shown without flowers or fruit. Then the color chosen can be a "Stand In" or a hint to the color of the flowers or fruit. For example, your ginkgo has beautiful yellow foliage, the pot you have with just a splash of yellow, serves to remind the viewer of the yellow that will be there in autumn.

Anyway, if this tree were mine, I would first air layer that nice trunk off those god awful ugly roots. Get a nice radial nebari going. Then I would find a larger diameter oval that is a little shallower than the current pot. The colors I would go for would be in the greens and blues, to complement the beautiful red or orange-red berries. You want to make the color of the berries pop. That is what I would do if it were my tree.

Now I do know Darlene, that you really like ungainly, exposed roots, that is your trademark. I seriously do not expect you to air layer this tree. I expect you to keep the roots the way they are. Its okay, you don't have to explain why. But do consider a lower, wider pot, preferably green tones, or blue tones, possibly with jewel tone highlights in the glaze. Because against the bright color of the berries, flashes of jewel tone colors in your pots would be acceptable. Avoid terra cotta colors, as they are too close to the orange-red colors of your fruit. You want to contrast and highlight the fruit, not down play it by matching the color family of the fruit.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The lower half of the pot the tree is in, is perfect, shades of gray, & green. The browns of the upper half of the current pot are all wrong to my eye for this tree. So to my eye, the current pot, is only half right. Your eye was probably attracted to the lower half of this pot, but the brown is disruptive to the color scheme.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Leo in N E Illinois lol those roots were discussed awhile back. Greg and many were in agreement to keep them. 🤷 Somehow it works...maybe because it's on my bench.

Thanks for the food for thought. Because I went to Google search and was looking at the unglazed pots some have them in.

The base glaze of the pot is what sold me on it...also was a great distraction when this pyracantha looked like this. The pot was a great distraction.

image (6).jpg

Then wire was applied. But agree it needs toned down from this sort of busy pot.
image (23).jpg

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh for sure feminine..

I haven’t yet shopped for a pot specifically for a tree, I’m looking forward to entering that completely new artistic territory. I have to find a few for some shohin chinese elm.. look forward to that thread!

anyways, your pyra is similar to mine. twist, multiple entwined trunk.
https://flic.kr/p/2hHLPLD
I thought for fruiting/flowering trees, generally you match the pot to the colour of fruit/flower? Or compliment.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pot shmot.

The transformation of tree is tremendous!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Who cares about the pot!

The tree in it's beginning did look fine in there....

But...

Vanilla Shmanilla!

Those berries are awesome!

Sorce

Ahhh I think I understand now.

I've selected what flowers could stay for a few berries. I prefer them to flowers. But development was most of my focus.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Why is there no vote button for androgynous? :)

Seriously, I have no idea how to assign a gender to this tree, but I do agree that it needs a new pot. I was also thinking of a pale colour like the lower half of the current pot. If you cover the top half of the pot in the picture with your finger or such you get a feel for it. Trouble is, or not, it then looks like a Christmas tree. Maybe you like that, but it’s not for me.

The options I would consider, therefore, would be a soft sided shallow pale grey green or by complete contrast, an angular, somewhat shiny black or dark grey pot. Probably the latter.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Why is there no vote button for androgynous? :)

Seriously, I have no idea how to assign a gender to this tree, but I do agree that it needs a new pot. I was also thinking of a pale colour like the lower half of the current pot. If you cover the top half of the pot in the picture with your finger or such you get a feel for it. Trouble is, or not, it then looks like a Christmas tree. Maybe you like that, but it’s not for me.

The options I would consider, therefore, would be a soft sided shallow pale grey green or by complete contrast, an angular, somewhat shiny black or dark grey pot. Probably the latter.
Since I don't show. The health of a tree Trump's shallower pot. Apprentice from Walter Pall agrees this species needs a deep pot. As well most all I know and read about the species. But thanks...for your opinion.

Lol a Christmas tree. Loved your answer!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's hard to strongly disagree and strongly agree with someone in the same breath, but here goes: I had to look up "androgynous ", and it's easy for me to understand why. The word is a mixed metaphor and offensive on it's face in most possible uses. Rocks are androgynous, or not. The concepts of masculine and feminine are familiar and comfortable and even the slightly negative words queen and butch carry accepted and common usages. People are not naturally drawn to "ambiguous".

This tree does go both ways. For now with the fruit displayed, more feminine, but over time as the branches catch up with the nebari, it'll become more Grandmotherly. More mature than the youthful word, "pretty".

I like the pot. In this case, the orange may be too competitive with the fruit which are the main feature of the tree. Or, not. I lean to earth tones and greens and combinations therein when I'm not using a blue on white. I like shiny black, too. And, soft-sided.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Since I don't show. The health of a tree Trump's shallower pot. Apprentice from Walter Pall agrees this species needs a deep pot. As well most all I know and read about the species. But thanks...for your opinion.

Lol a Christmas tree. Loved your answer!
Hope you didn’t take it as derogatory because I didn’t mean it that way! I like pyracantha and I like yours. I’d go for a deep pot too, if it were a dark one. I’m sure you’ll figure it out. :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hope you didn’t take it as derogatory because I didn’t mean it that way! I like pyracantha and I like yours. I’d go for a deep pot too, if it were a dark one. I’m sure you’ll figure it out. :)
No, not at all. I'm twisted that way. I prefer material that is controversial one might say. 😉 So never an offense taken.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fruiting trees are generally thought of as being feminine regardless of trunk size or movement.

Are fruiting trees without fruit or flowers showing still feminine if the structure is otherwise masculine? If you have a stout trunk with dense canopy and no berries or flowers, does the tree change from masculine to feminine when it gets berries?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Oh Vance! Good to hear from you my friend. What a riot you are!
Nice to hear from you to Darlene, most of the time anymore people go after me with an inch and a half by six long foot stick.

Top Bottom