Ferns... And Keeping Them Small

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ive seen many accents with Ferns on them that were very small... how do you keep them so small?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Buy dwarf varieties. You cannot keep a royal fern, or a cinnamon fern, or an ostrich fern that smalll.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
The ferns I often use grow to 3 or 4 feet in the wild (I often collect seedlings). Containerisation keeps them small, for two or three years at least.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Once established in a pot I cut fronds that get too big. This generates new smaller fronds.

Is there a specific size at which you should remove a frond?

What soil mix do you use for your ferns? Same as your trees or with more organic matter?

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there a specific size at which you should remove a frond?

What soil mix do you use for your ferns? Same as your trees or with more organic matter?
I usually trim once in the spring removing the old as the new emerge. Usually 5-6" is about when I cut them during summer. I grow them in the same mix as my trees, mostly pumice and turface.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I usually trim once in the spring removing the old as the new emerge. Usually 5-6" is about when I cut them during summer. I grow them in the same mix as my trees, mostly pumice and turface.
here you can see new fronds emerging where I removed an old frond. The frond to the right is about ready to be removed. It's about 6" now and won't get much bigger in this pot.
20190716_075649.jpg

Top Bottom