fertilization with kelp

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm switching to organics, and I am going to follow @Brian Van Fleet 's recipe to the T. Since you add liquid seaweed to your cakes, do you think it would be OK to give them a weekly dose of kelp (https://www.amazon.com/Cyco-Platinum-Ryzofuel-5-L/dp/B00ZYDQ0JI) when I water?

Also, do you think the seaweed washes out of the cakes pretty fast?

I haven't started making the cakes yet because I need some sunshine...been doing nothing but raining here in Ohio

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sure, kelp has good micronutrients, but very low NPK values. I use fish emulsion at least weekly along with cakes.

The kelp in your link is cyco expensive. This is what Bjorn uses, about monthly, along with Holly tone in teabags:
I haven’t tried it yet, I like Neptune’s harvest fish plus seaweed, 2-3-1, mixed pretty strong.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool. Is there any danger in overfertilizing with the liquid seaweed in the cakes plus the kelp once a week? Or overfertilizing with either component?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Cool. Is there any danger in overfertilizing with the liquid seaweed in the cakes plus the kelp once a week? Or overfertilizing with either component?
Not that I have experienced.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you ever use the little fertilizer baskets? Are they useless? Is it better to have the fertilizer applied directly to the surface?i think I remember listening to an asymmetry podcast and Ryan said they are fine but just too expensive for all his trees?

Top Bottom