Fertilizer and Ants

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I just started organic fertilizer in tea page to strengthen the trees for the dormancy and next year. Unfortunately, I have Ant’s and fruit flies all over the trees now. Is this ok or is it gonna bring along more harmful pests.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The ants might be farming scale or aphids, never heard of them eating fert, unless of course you made it yourself with extra sugar!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Normally you have flies or pillbugs but I agree with @sorce. Ants and fruit flies = sugar.

isopod.jpg

(Pillbugs aren't bugs at all... they are actually crustaceans. Think lobsters and crabs. I don't know how they taste though... :) )

Last edited:

casun

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That is exactly the kind of “pillbug” I sometimes see in my nightmares.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They only eat decaying material (in Michigan) (it's the law).

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I use Holly-tone on my trees from March until November every year and can't say I've ever seen an increase in ants or fruit flies (or any flies, really) with it's application and use.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Plant-tone

Strange. I just used this on some of my shimpakus. Can't say I've got ants or fruit flies, though it does draw regular house flies a little. Try this:

nature.jpg

It is pelletized and does not draw insects that I can tell. It is slow to break down into the soil and so far I am happy with it. Make sure you use this type (7-6-9) and not any of the others.

Last edited:

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love seeing critters in and around my trees. Makes it look more natural and alive...like out there.

Top Bottom