Fertilizer and Mycorrhizal Fungi

GarlR

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I need to buy some fertilizer, and thinking about getting 'Green Dream Organic Bonsai Fertilizer,' I can get it pretty cheap off Amazon, and free 2 day shipping. It is a mix of 6:6:6, which would be good for tropicals that pretty much will be getting 16 hours of light year round?

Also is Mycorrhizal Fungi (I will buy Myconox brand) worth all the hype? I know not all the fungi will grow with all species, but this one contains 15 varieties. I will have to repot my Fukien Tea sometime soon. (It drains totally like crap, and is easily rockable in the pot) and I will have to repot my ficus natalensis in a month or three.

Any thoughts?

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mycorrhizae are very beneficial to coarse rooted plants (like pines and junipers). But they will only thrive in a very specific (phosphorus deficient) environment. The root systems of mycorrhizae inoculated plants tend to be on the small side because the fungus makes them more efficient. If something were to happen to the fungi (too much P in fertilizer), the plant will struggle and may die. So if you're going to inoculate, you also have to be very consistent in your fertilizing regimen and use an low concentration, organic phosphorus source.

I couldn't give a recommendation about the products you reference because I haven't used either. Just wanted to pass along what I know about mycorrhizae. I can recommend this fertilizer which has mycorrhizae, beneficial bacteria and humic acid.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've used green dream, I use it in addition to a liquid ( bonsai pro by dyna gro) regimen. I mostly use it in the spring and early summer. The one thing you need to watch out for is clumping on the soil, and causing drainage problems.
I add m.f. when I repot,especially pines. I didn't know that phosphorus would kill it, I wonder at what ratio of NPK it becomes a problem?

Last edited:

GarlR

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I wanted moss, but I may not use moss right now. Anyway, with the organic, it wouldn't kill the moss, but may attract fungus gnats. (So I've read)

And I'm guessing your saying no to the fungi for ficus...? :)

Thanks!!!

Edit: I just noticed you said ON, and not IN. Sorry JudyB!

Last edited:

GarlR

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I just went ahead and bought the fertilizer, and myconox. I also bought Superthrive to put on the roots when I repot.

As for the myconox, it was only $15. If it doesn't help, it won't hurt. For the cost, the possible utility I get out of it outweighs what I wouldn't get if it didn't work.

The only concern I have with the fertilizer is that it does not have any micro nutrients, that I can tell from the packaging. It will allow me to fertilize easier, without over fertilizing. I can get some better fertilizer (or more of this if it works) later down the road.

Top Bottom