Fertilizer for Bonsai?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
:) I don't really have a good answer for you except to slightly change the NPK and that I generally just do whatever Boon says works well because I tend to get better results when I follow what Boon says. I wonder how he got this formula? yes, you most def can just use Cottenseed meal, that would work good too.

Approx:
Cotten Seed=5-2-1
Fish Meal= 9-4-1
Bone Meal= 4-12-0

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well if its a Boon thing I can't argue with that.

The only thing I can say is that fertilizer is not incremental. So starting with 5-2-1 and adding 9-4-1 and 4-12-0 does not get you 18-18-2. It gets you 9-12-1. So leaving out the cottonseed meal would make your cakes even cheaper. You see why I get crazy when all these people keep coming up with stupid things and people glam onto them without even using any common sense. My teacher told me that so I use it, whatever the cost.

Last edited:

BoneSci

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there any reason why I never see the Espoma products mentioned in threads on ferts? I like the plant-tone and tree-tone products because they are formulated with much of the same things people use for cakes (except cottonseed meal) and supposedly also contain humates and bacteria, which I assume should help in the conversion of the ingredients to a more usable form (also assuming they aren't washed out of the pot too quickly).

I haven't found a local source of humic acid so this is my option (although admittedly I am still somewhat skeptical as to how this works in a bonsai pot).

Thanks,
Chris

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Is there any reason why I never see the Espoma products mentioned in threads on ferts? I like the plant-tone and tree-tone products because they are formulated with much of the same things people use for cakes (except cottonseed meal) and supposedly also contain humates and bacteria, which I assume should help in the conversion of the ingredients to a more usable form (also assuming they aren't washed out of the pot too quickly).

I haven't found a local source of humic acid so this is my option (although admittedly I am still somewhat skeptical as to how this works in a bonsai pot).

Thanks,
Chris

It's exactly what I use. Plantone (which has humates), flour, water, and pressed into cakes. Have for years, with none of the problems that have been discussed around here lately. My trees are healthy, and I don't have pest or rodent problems. I do have to aerate the soil occasionally, once or twice a year.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now I'm really hurt.....

.....while the debate rages on.....

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sorry, didn't have you pegged as sensitive...more a reference to the raccoon and poo balls post. Happy to redact.

Back to the debate...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. I found it quite refreshing that some have noticed my cheesy grin and that I pose with fertilizer. Kind of my 8x10 glossy!

It is good stuff though. There would be many here that could use some learnin when it comes to fertilizer.

I remember my third post at bonsaiTALK 11 years ago. A good article titled "My backyard smells like crap"! Fertilizer was a debate back then too.

Fallen_Reality

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow... A lot of information to take in.

Well, I've decided to just go ahead and use an inorganic fertilizer. I have a ficus, and from what I've read, a 3-1-2 is the preferred fertilizer proportions. My grandma has some Miracle-Gro that is 12-4-8, so it should be good, correct?

The instructions for potted plants is 1/2 teaspoon for 2 quarts of water, every two weeks.

I've read that for ficuses, fertilizer should be half strength. Is that because ficuses are sensitive, or just because the people writing about them don't want you to over fertilize?

Thank you all for the help so far, and any more advice is gladly welcome!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only thing I can say is that fertilizer is not incremental. So starting with 5-2-1 and adding 9-4-1 and 4-12-0 does not get you 18-18-2. It gets you 9-12-1.

I don't think that's exactly right...fertilizers are percentage based, so 5-2-1 has 5% nitrogen. If we were to mix equal amounts (say 100 grams) of each fertilizer, we'd get 300 grams of fertilizer composed of:

N: 5+9+4 = 18 grams
P: 2+4+12 = 18 grams
K: 1+1+0 = 2 grams

Then divide by 3 to get back to a percent basis (relative to 100 grams), so the resulting mix
would actually be 6-6-0.67...I think! Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Chris

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't think that's exactly right...fertilizers are percentage based, so 5-2-1 has 5% nitrogen. If we were to mix equal amounts (say 100 grams) of each fertilizer, we'd get 300 grams of fertilizer composed of:

N: 5+9+4 = 18 grams
P: 2+4+12 = 18 grams
K: 1+1+0 = 2 grams

Then divide by 3 to get back to a percent basis (relative to 100 grams), so the resulting mix
would actually be 6-6-0.67...I think! Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Chris

This makes intuitive sense to me.

Top Bottom