Fertilizer question.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
I know this question would have been asked a hundred times in some way or enother but i am going to ask it again anyway.
Ive done alot of reasearch into how long to wait after doing a substantial root prune and a repot on a crab apple into 50/50 akadama and lava rock. But there are so many conflicting views on the matter im unsure on which is best. The tree is doing really well after repot and almost in full leaf now with only a few buds left to open out, the only tree i have thats almost in full leaf the others and mostly still dormant.
I will be using a mixture of organic fertilizers through out the grow season from bio gold to fish emulsion to seaweed and miricle grow. on a weekly rotation on my developing trees, too a longer rotation on my older trees.
So what are peoples views on when to start my fertilizing regime.
Im just intrested on your opinions as i have read alot and know what the books and webpages say but im wondering what everyone on here do.
So if it were your tree would you.
A. Wait for a while like the month to six weeks some books suggest and wait till new shoots are starting to grow out and extend.
B. start now but half measure.
C. just start now as if it was not repotted and root pruned and treat like any other tree starting to leaf out and use full measures when new growth hardens off.
So what do you do?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The wait period [ for us one week in bright light ] is a very good safety precaution and does no harm to even a dense tree.

If you used anything organic in the soil mix, in the cooler climates, it takes according to Texas University extension services,
2 months for the material to be tapped out.
For tropics it may be a month, so we start to fertilise after a month, but we also use a 1/3 strength solution.

You see 12 N showing up frequently in use for trees. So we aim for that strength.

Please note UK and European fertilisers are normally listed differently to US fertilisers. One is K2O the other is K.
So read closely if you use a US product.
Good Day
Anthony

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have crabapple. I don't use organic fertilizer.
But I fertilize everything as soon as green shows. On newly collected trees. On fresh root pruned trees
Miracle grow. 5 times the amount prescribed.
Zero ill effects. Just lush green growth.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't have crabapple. I don't use organic fertilizer.
But I fertilize everything as soon as green shows. On newly collected trees. On fresh root pruned trees
Miracle grow. 5 times the amount prescribed.
Zero ill effects. Just lush green growth.
Thanks for the reply i may start fertiliser tomorrow aswell then. As i said im going to use a mixture of different fertilisers on a rotation so the plants get different things from the diferent products i have 4 different types of liquid ferts fish emulsion, seaweed, organic liquid feed and miricle grow i will use one once a week on a rotation along side bio gold pellets as i have like 10 kilos of the stuff.

Top Bottom