Fertilizing bonsai? Chemical, organic, how, when?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Lou T ,

ask Gogeerah [ Mike ] how he waters and if his inorganic can hold
mosture.
Also frequency of repottig?
Good Day
Anthony / Mottee [ Mothra ]

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
if you have the right substrate, fully inorganic modern bonsai substrate, and water properly you can and ought to use a higher dose because most of it flushes away and part of the rest is not even in a chemical form that can be assimilated and would need microbial activity to be transformed into an asimilable form. It would be useful in garden soil planted trees but not in bonsai substrate because it flushed away whereas in the soil it lingers enough. Please read Walter Pall’s blog on the subject.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And about reporting, you only repot when necessary, not on a schedule. There is a health issue with the roots, percolation is compromised or a change of angle due to aesthetic considerations is required.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Rafael Najmanovich ,

it may help to say at what stage your Bonsai is.
The overdose/ non absorptive stage is best for ???

Which is why I encouraged a question or two.
Good Day
Anthony

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Rafael Najmanovich ,

it may help to say at what stage your Bonsai is.
The overdose/ non absorptive stage is best for ???

Which is why I encouraged a question or two.
Good Day
Anthony

For sure Anthony. Stating the obvious here but what I mentioned about chemical fertilizer overdosing is for trees in development exclusively. Also, the video is very clear about that there are differences not only between development and refinement but also differences between species.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fertilizing bonsai? Chemical, organic, Does it really matter? How, when? New video:

Rafael, thanks for posting the videos. Someday I will even watch them!

Seriously, I look forward to it, I only haven’t yet because I much prefer reading text to watching videos, so much faster and I retain it better as well.

I hope someday you post some of the trees and plantings that yourself and others work with there as well. I know that there is a lot going on there that as an isolated Canadian I would very much like to see.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have used both organic and inorganic fertilizer and other that the smell, I have not noticed any difference in growth or plant health, between the two. Nitrogen is nitrogen, no matter where it comes from, as well as the other components. For ease of fertilizing, osmacoat and Miracle Grow is the way to go.

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
The problem with chemical fertilizer is that you are killing off the beneficial microbes in the soil. Organic fertilizer sits on the soil, leeches in and feeds and promotes the growth of these microbes. The mycorrhizae relationship between the fungus and bacteria and the plant itself is the most important thing in nature you can have going on in your soil. These microbes promote health in your trees that inorganic fertilizers cannot provide.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Jeramiah ,

you need to take a read at Gardenmyths.

Our soil is based on what happens when you take
hydroponics and add aged compost to the 5mm inorganic.
Mind you in a pot refining or maintaining a shape
does not require more than 8 N and as Leo has been
saying , you only need a little P.

So a 1/3 strength Miracle Gro Lawn Fertiliser works
well. Once a week, during our 6 month dry season.
And once again this is year 40 growing from seed / cutting
or seedling.

Thus far, no problems.

The aged compost handles the microbes.
And as far as I remember they handle pure N.
But no, we do not need 5 times the recommended strength.
Good Day
Anthony

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
The problem with chemical fertilizer is that you are killing off the beneficial microbes in the soil. Organic fertilizer sits on the soil, leeches in and feeds and promotes the growth of these microbes. The mycorrhizae relationship between the fungus and bacteria and the plant itself is the most important thing in nature you can have going on in your soil. These microbes promote health in your trees that inorganic fertilizers cannot provide.

Is the killing of the microbes based on any sort of science, or just conjecture?

Here is a picture of mycorrhizae growing in the soil of my hornbeam:

DSC03045-1.jpg

You can read about it here:

It always has gotten full strength Miracle Grow twice a month in the summer and Osmacoat stays in the pot year round. I don't think it killed anything.

Much of what happens to trees growing in a pot in a bunch of "rocks" has very little to do with what happens to a tree in nature.

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
It always has gotten full strength Miracle Grow twice a month in the summer and Osmacoat stays in the pot year round. I don't think it killed anything.

What is the makeup of your soil? Are you supplementing with anything?

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
40% lava, 40% pumice, 20% pine or fir bark, and a little turface thrown in for good luck. No supplements, except for Miracle Grow and Osmacote.

I was wondering where the fungus was getting its "food". The bark gives it its happy place.

My experience has always been that in a pure inorganic soil the chemicals in the inorganic fertilizers have been too harsh on the fungus. There is no organics for the fungus to feed on. But your soil mix provides some organics for the fungus.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seems good video really.
Lately been all chemical high dosage with hydroponic soil every watering.
I do like the ease of cakes and pellets though.Maybe someday.
I just look at the pro trees and see what they use.
Cannott argue with 20 or 30 year results either way.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Seems good video really.
Lately been all chemical high dosage with hydroponic soil every watering.
I do like the ease of cakes and pellets though.Maybe someday.
I just look at the pro trees and see what they use.
Cannott argue with 20 or 30 year results either way.

You are right, tomato - tomato, it really doesn't matter what you use, just use something...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The problem with chemical fertilizer is that you are killing off the beneficial microbes in the soil.
Nope. Not at all.
If that were the case I wouldn't have a living tree.
I use nothing organic on my trees.
That includes substrate,fertilizer and pesticides.
I pound them with miracle grow every week.
Some trees like elms sometimes twice per week.
I mix it 5 times what it says you're supposed to.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wondering where the fungus was getting its "food". The bark gives it its happy place.

My experience has always been that in a pure inorganic soil the chemicals in the inorganic fertilizers have been too harsh on the fungus. There is no organics for the fungus to feed on. But your soil mix provides some organics for the fungus.
No need for bark.
It only helps people feel better about soil.

Top Bottom