Fertilizing for Newbies?

jasonpg

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
When I was at a local bonsai nursery, I asked the gentleman there about fertilizing and he indicated that while organic was best, I could use a normal 20-20-20 fertilizer. He said that if it says to mix 1 tbsp per gallon and fertilize every two weeks, I could mix like 1/8 tbsp and fertilize every couple of days.

Just curious on the general consensus on that method.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fertilizer rates and ratios depend on substrate material. For example: My trees that are in 100% inorganic substrate get 2 times amount prescribed on the box twice per week. I was giving them 5 times once per week last year.
I have a few trees that are in the soil they came in from the nursery. Those get the amount per gallon prescribed on the box once per week.
I use Miracle Gro. Period.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Welcome to B-Nut! You will soon find that there is no "general" consensus :eek: I use 20-20-20 at many times the recommended dose BUT my victims are in non organic substrate(most in 100 percent Dry Stall). That works for me and the plants I have right now. I will only say it is a balancing act that depends on your substrate and watering schedule. It also greatly depends on the plants. For example no matter what you grow Wisteria in it does not need Nitrogen as well as a few other popular Bonsai victims... The 20-20-20 will work as they suggested for "most" everything as they suggested. How much depends on substrate and water schedule. To lessen the confusion I have taken all of my plants to pure inorganic. I am able now to have two water/feed zones rather then six. My 'thought" is not new but applies to modern substrate and if followed makes things a bit easier for "me".

Grimmy

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I use the standard Miracle Gro and I think it's 24-8-16. I mix it a double the suggested dose and use it every Sunday. I also spread fresh Osmocote the first of every month.

My trees are in 66% inorganic and they are nice and healthy. The key is to use whatever you like consistently. Some people like organic and some don't. I think the tree's couldn't care as long as there's food on the table.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When I was at a local bonsai nursery, I asked the gentleman there about fertilizing and he indicated that while organic was best, I could use a normal 20-20-20 fertilizer. He said that if it says to mix 1 tbsp per gallon and fertilize every two weeks, I could mix like 1/8 tbsp and fertilize every couple of days.

If you can do it, I think it is good. IMHO, even, frequent feeding is MUCH better than concentrated once every 2 weeks. If you can further half the dosage and use it daily it would even be better.

Again, IMHO and what I strive for but just can't do it.

Top Bottom