Few questions about Jade

Alkabides

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’ve got a pretty massive Jade growing in my backyard. Picture tough to tell size but one part of trunk is as thick as my arm. The shape is already domed and it looks great imo. I noticed this tree a long time ago and it slowly kindled an interesting in Bonsai that eventually got me into low level projects. I think it might be time to dig this guy up and get in a pot. Sounds crazy but I think this would be an epic display piece on my kitchen island once established. Wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations of stuff to look out for. I know they’re pretty hardy. Im in San Diego, so I use a bit more water retaining materials versus just akadama type grit in my soil mix. I reckon that would work well in this scenario too. Any other tips? Thank you.

Attachments

• 1CAC5170-88D8-4FB4-AD74-E087DB86D357.jpeg
    1CAC5170-88D8-4FB4-AD74-E087DB86D357.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 38

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried them as bonsai, but they're better off in a bigger pot...outside. They need sunlight to colour the leaves. To little sun and they grow leggy. They won't flower without sunlight either.
They're finicky in a pot...as far as getting the perfect placement for sun exposure. The ideal is not to overheat the pot with to much sun. Morning to mid day. Afternoon shade.
They're extremely hardy, but to get the best colouring from them they have to be placed so they get the perfect amount of sun.
Like I said, to little...green leaves. To much...red leaves. Just right..green leaves, with red tips. That's when they flower to.
These two are out on my porch. One gets half day afternoon sun. It's a bit to harsh...to much red, but it flowers
IMG_20200614_112630.jpg
Other one gets much less afternoon sun. Less red in the leaves and it don't flower.
IMG_20200614_112703.jpg
I don't have space for them in the perfect spot...so I comprise.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Oh yeah....Boldly!

I'd check out @just.wing.it thread on Jade/ Spekboom. It's a nice quick simple progression to excellent.....and......it's in a nice pot! Ha!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Jade above is a Crassula. Not the same as the Spekkies

If they are different Horticulturally, I still combine them as far as looks go.

Aren't they close enough?

Sorce

Alkabides

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve got a few nice but not nearly as big Jade in other spots there are very red tipped. I’ll keep you updated, no rush but I think it’ll be a nice display one day.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they are different Horticulturally, I still combine them as far as looks go.

Aren't they close enough?

Sorce
They look similar when young I suppose. When matured they differ greatly however. Crassula stays relatively little juicy fatties....about man high. They are beautiful standing in the arid desert veld though.
Spekbooms grows huge and the wood actually lignifies. A herd of elephant can vanish in a flash when they enter the Spekboom veld.
What I also found. Crassula can't be bent through guy or ordinary wire. Spekboom however can.

Top Bottom