Ficus Ariel root cutting

Jimmy1020

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi there ,I'm new to bonsai and just starting out my question is :
Is it possible to propagate a ficus tree from a arial root cutting that has been taken from a fully grown tree?
And if so can it just been planted into soil ?
Thanks in advance and sorry if it may seem like a silly question

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There are many plants that can be grown from root cuttings but I don't think ficus species can be grown that way.
On the other hand, what have you got to lose?
You will need to keep any ficus except the fruiting fig warmer so best to keep your cutting in a pot so you can move it to protect from frost - You have forgotten to put your location in your profile so we don't know if you are in the tropics or a cooler place so hard to give meaningful answers for tropical species. So much depends on your local climate.

Jimmy1020

Sapling
Reaction score
There are many plants that can be grown from root cuttings but I don't think ficus species can be grown that way.
On the other hand, what have you got to lose?
You will need to keep any ficus except the fruiting fig warmer so best to keep your cutting in a pot so you can move it to protect from frost - You have forgotten to put your location in your profile so we don't know if you are in the tropics or a cooler place so hard to give meaningful answers for tropical species. So much depends on your local climate.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
rather take a branch cutting - ficus root with very little effort...
just stick it in a pot, no rooting hormone or anything...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
rather take a branch cutting - ficus root with very little effort...
just stick it in a pot, no rooting hormone or anything...

This is true. Cut three branches off of my willow leaf, put them in a jar for a few days because I was lazy, root nodes appeared, finally got around to filling a 4" pot with some soil and put them in there. They're doing well with like zero effort.

Top Bottom