Ficus B questions

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I have 8 Ficus B. that were given to me as a tight group planting (not bonsai) in a 6 inch round pot about two years ago and were probably bought from Lowes or Home Depot. I seperated them upon finding them on my porch. In the process most of the roots had been removed which doesn't really hurt ficus.

But my question is will they always grow those huge swollen roots? It basically ruins the nebari with how they look. I ask this because I'd like to ground layer them to start a new root system but if the result will turn out the same I'm not going to bother.
Do all Ficus grow these huge roots? And I'm not talking about the roots you'd find on a Ginseng Ficus but the large tubular roots that grow just under the soil line.

Another question. This being the dormant time for ficus where I live they aren't pushing a lot of new growth if any at all but the branches and trunk are still thickening because I just had to rewire them. Would it be ok to start a thread graft? I know the ideal time would be spring time but I figured with their growth rate if I started one now by the summer it could be complete.

Thanks for your opinions and comments!
Kevin

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So after some convincing research I now know I can thread graft a ficus any time though best if it is during the stronger growing part of the year.

I did not find a whole lot of answers about the roots of ficus b and if the big roots are a common trait of all ficus.

Top Bottom