Ficus bargainmina

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
let me start by saying first thing I am a He and not a She, I can understand where the confusion comes from, I have gotten it all of my life... anyways...
back to the subject...
I personally, still believe this tree might have gotten bit by the cold... the reason, when this happens to ficus they will die off in all kinds of weird places, drop green leaves, but at the same time will continue to still try and put out new growth... often it will continue untill untill all the nutrients remaining in the parts that did not freeze is used up, then the new growth will die. Personally I usually will cut some of what appears to be alive to check the condition inside. Often when one scratches they will still find green, but when cut, you will find it all very soft and kinda mushy, the bark also comes of very easily. Sometimes I have had trees that part has died and the rest survived, so I just cut off the dead and started in a new direction. So wait and see, time will eventually tell.
A ficus that has been excessively watered will act almost the same way, with one major difference... the roots upon inspection, will often be rotten... When it was repoted, (which by the way I would never do to a tree in shock, I have found 99 percent of the time it does send it over the edge), did not find any rotted roots?
From the photos, I did not see any, which leads me back to the cold.

Now, as far as sun... ANY AND ALL REPOTTED PLANTS, OR PLANTS IN SHOCK, SHOULD BE PUT IN THE SHADE/PARTIAL SHADE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING!!! Anybody telling you otherwise, I would definetly question!!!This allows the plant to acclimate, and settle in... For some plants, and some actions, this does not need to be that long... others it does... ie. heavy root prunning.
Ficus do very well under all types of lighting conditions that is why often they sold as house plants, true the full sun will help promote new growth, but I have also found, excess sun will slow growth as well.
Seriously, I am stunned that you all are telling him to just plop it out in the full sun, even if you had a tree that was suffering from lack of light, you would slowly ease it towards the sun!!! If one was to look at the photos, you would see his tree is dropping green leaves, a pure sign his tree is in shock, and if on was to use their "Brain", the full sun would be the last place it needs to be!!!

Thank you MR. Stacy. I still don't think it is from the cold though. The nursery got the tree around March and the weather was consistently above 60F. They received the tree, defoliated it, then just did not stop watering it. Then it tried pushing new leaves but just never could.

Thanks also for clearing up the sun issue. I'll keep it in the shade.

I still don't understand. I just went out to clean up some of the dead looking branches so the tree doesn't force energy into them, but when I cut the end of the branches off, I found green inside. What is going on?? How can the branch be brown when I scratch the bark, yet have green on the interior of the branches?

Reaction score
defoliating and overwatering will definetly do it... did you happen to ask where they got the tree from, since they only got it themselves in march? Also, did they say why they defoiliated it? Is this a place that normally deals in bonsai???
sorry, not trying to be nosey, but when you look at it, it all seems a bit odd... which is why you probally only paid five bucks for it... sounds a little like someone was grabing at straws, trying anything, to make the tree healthy again???
Oh by the way, how much are you watering???

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
defoliating and overwatering will definetly do it... did you happen to ask where they got the tree from, since they only got it themselves in march? Also, did they say why they defoiliated it? Is this a place that normally deals in bonsai???
sorry, not trying to be nosey, but when you look at it, it all seems a bit odd... which is why you probally only paid five bucks for it... sounds a little like someone was grabing at straws, trying anything, to make the tree healthy again???
Oh by the way, how much are you watering???

The nursery does "specialize" in bonsai. They got the tree from Meehans Miniatures, where they get all of their trees. I dunno why they defoliated it though, they really don't know what they're doing. But the $5 thing was probably just so it didn't fully die on their hands. Who knows.

I have only watered the tree once since I got it. I will not water again for a while since it is in the shade.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Now, as far as sun... ANY AND ALL REPOTTED PLANTS, OR PLANTS IN SHOCK, SHOULD BE PUT IN THE SHADE/PARTIAL SHADE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING!!! Anybody telling you otherwise..."

I have done what I suggested more than once with repotted ficus here in Va. I don't think this plant has been "bitten" by cold. We're well past any freezing and frost in this area. The last frost was in early March. If it were exposed to freezing that did that much damage then, the plant probably wouldn't be alive at this point. It's more likely due to overwatering and too little light. The source of this plant is a common one here in Va. and the nursery that bought it treated it as many do--too much water, inept defoliation (which Ficus B doesn't really appreciate).

Va. is not Fla. Sun exposure here is not as intense. I suggested putting this plant in morning sun into early afternoon. That much sun exposure is unlikely to harm it and bottom heat is a proven stimulant for root development.

Keeping it in constant shade, IMO, will simply prolong its decline.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Rock that was exactly my point, I understand where Stacy is coming from, and am not trying to argure our point with her. The point is that with no leaves, you aren't going to shock the tree, by putting it in the sun, more likely it will promote new leave growth. Now shocked or not, the only way this tree recovers is by putting on new leaves.

I have seen the argument that less sun will give bigger leaves, so I'll meet Stacy in the middle and agree with Marks original few hours of morning sun for a while, then when it has leaves pour on the sunshine.

Heads or tails Ryan, not trying to confuse you, just our opinions.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also would urge you to put this tree into the sun, Ficus love sun. The one thing I read that worries me is that you fertilized the tree, usually its not a good idea to fertilize a sick Ficus. My $.02 worth. Good luck with your tree.

ed

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I also would urge you to put this tree into the sun, Ficus love sun. The one thing I read that worries me is that you fertilized the tree, usually its not a good idea to fertilize a sick Ficus. My $.02 worth. Good luck with your tree.

ed

This tree is long gone :D

Top Bottom