Ficus benjamin trunk chop?

Bodanger

Seedling
Reaction score
I rescued this over grown ficus from an office that was closing down. I pruned it back to a manageable shape but my gf hates it and wants to get rid of it and replace it with something basic like a monstera.

If I cant keep it as a big tree I'd like to give it a trunk chop and keep it as a bonsai. I have no experience with ficus and would reallly appreciate advice or being pointed int the direction to a good resource to help me out with this.

It looks like it has some decent potential. Mature, tapered trunk, interesting exposed roots. 20190701_151819.jpg20190701_152957.jpg20190701_154612.jpg20190701_154557.jpg

Thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I got a triple cutting one like this only about 5 years younger, I transplanted into bonsai soil, its on my deck, growing great. Once healthy, I will airlayer all 3 tops off and have 3 more trees. Keep the base all together and its gonna look awesome, roots all climbing on each other.

You could start airlayering off the tops or replant it first, not sure, Im really new to this but its alot of fun. Welcome to crazy

Bodanger

Seedling
Reaction score
I got a triple cutting one like this only about 5 years younger, I transplanted into bonsai soil, its on my deck, growing great. Once healthy, I will airlayer all 3 tops off and have 3 more trees. Keep the base all together and its gonna look awesome, roots all climbing on each other.

You could start airlayering off the tops or replant it first, not sure, Im really new to this but its alot of fun. Welcome to crazy
Yeah, air laying it is a really good idea. I'm hesitant to strap plastic to it if the GF already finds it unattractive. She has zero patience for plant development and doesn't get the concept of seeing the sculpture in the stone.

Top Bottom