Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow not a big ficus guy but I like yours a lot .. almost makes me want to take the ficus pill.
I'm not even a huge fan of them, but their so easy to care for it's almost cheating, and I find benjamina loads of fun. Just unpredictable enough to stay interesting, and overcome your mistakes like nothing happened.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Danny, do you ever defoliate your ficuses?
I’ve yet to defoliate my Wiandi. But have defoliated other varieties. I’ve had total leaf drop over winter before so I imagine it could handle it fine. But I’d rather not be the one to find out. At least not with my nice ones

I will also say. While defoliating can be a great tool for ramification I don’t always think it’s in the best Interest of the tree to do so. When I defoliate my elms it’s to I wire and rewire mid summer, not necessarily for the ramification it produces. Since these ficus don’t really get wired much I’m not in a hurry to defoliate.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I’m curious also if you so anything special to drive growth inward. This one is incredibly dense, but they seem to want to go leggy by default.

I’ve also noticed that mine will put out two leaf from a barky branch, and then next to that leaf, a shoot will develop. Any ideas on how to take advantage of this?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m curious also if you so anything special to drive growth inward. This one is incredibly dense, but they seem to want to go leggy by default.

I’ve also noticed that mine will put out two leaf from a barky branch, and then next to that leaf, a shoot will develop. Any ideas on how to take advantage of this?
FULL SUN. If this variety is not getting enough sunlight the internodes get real long, branches leggy and they don’t backbud as readily. Mine backbud constantly, from vigor more than anything else, but typically it happens after a trim.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mine aren't wiandi, but I've noticed that benjamina will push 2 buds at a node at a time. One is a leaf, the other extends the branch before pushing a leaf, then another bud for branch growth.
Removing that branching bud will stall the growth, but won't always lead to another leaf.

That's my experience anyway.

Top Bottom