Ficus Benjamina; 1 Year, 100% Lava

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Wow, I had no idea. I'll see what I can find out. Thanks.
The ecoTraction is sold as an ecologically friendly alternative to ice melt, so I'm assuming it's fairly safe chemically. It does hold water, just not anything like clay or DE substrates. Fairly low on dust thus far.

@Baku1875 the swimming pool stuff appears to be the same stuff as the ecoTraction, but I couldn't find anything on particle size for most I came across.
And I have a couple tiger barks now days, but very little styling so far. Looking forward to it, but not in a hurry. That "culling the herd" thread has me reevaluating some life choices of the past couple years. LoL

As @Lorax7 said, there are many varieties of benjamina, including some that don't make the tubers, but the standard houseplant sort is what I've been working with.
They're not the prettiest trees for bonsai, but they are loads of fun.
just to get more info from the setup, what has been your fertilizer of choice for the experiments?

personally, i been using dr earth from home depot (cheap organic fert with bacteria), and vigoro all purpose pellets, occasional miracle gro blue crystals. I plan on going hard until June 22nd then dialing back as per Sir Ryan Neil's advice

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
just to get more info from the setup, what has been your fertilizer of choice for the experiments?

personally, i been using dr earth from home depot (cheap organic fert with bacteria), and vigoro all purpose pellets, occasional miracle gro blue crystals. I plan on going hard until June 22nd then dialing back as per Sir Ryan Neil's advice
Nothing terribly scientific going on, so it's a grab bag based largely on convenience.
Generally I use ferti-lome tree and shrub fertilizer granules. The landscape stuff the local mom-&-pop shop carries. I'll check the numbers in the morning if I remember. It's not intended for pots, so I put a spoonful or two in a teabag and lay it on top of the soil.
Also the same brand 12-12-12+micros osmocote knockoff for uses where I'm limiting N or just maintenance level nutrition or the like. That's mixed in or just sprinkled on top.
Otherwise, fish emulsion to kick off the growing season and as needed, root and bloom mix that's mostly P and little K, and their version of Miracid where appropriate. All ferti-lome brand because I like to support the local place, and that's what they carry.

Came upon a bunch of large scale jugs of hydroponic ferts a while back that I'd like to play with once I have my head on straight (read, "when pigs fly").
Trying out the Walmart brand acid fert granules this year.

Nothing fancy. I try to remind myself that this is a hobby that fits my lifestyle, not my lifestyle itself.
Balance is the name of my game this year.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nothing terribly scientific going on, so it's a grab bag based largely on convenience.
Generally I use ferti-lome tree and shrub fertilizer granules. The landscape stuff the local mom-&-pop shop carries. I'll check the numbers in the morning if I remember. It's not intended for pots, so I put a spoonful or two in a teabag and lay it on top of the soil.
Also the same brand 12-12-12+micros osmocote knockoff for uses where I'm limiting N or just maintenance level nutrition or the like. That's mixed in or just sprinkled on top.
Otherwise, fish emulsion to kick off the growing season and as needed, root and bloom mix that's mostly P and little K, and their version of Miracid where appropriate. All ferti-lome brand because I like to support the local place, and that's what they carry.

Came upon a bunch of large scale jugs of hydroponic ferts a while back that I'd like to play with once I have my head on straight (read, "when pigs fly").
Trying out the Walmart brand acid fert granules this year.

Nothing fancy. I try to remind myself that this is a hobby that fits my lifestyle, not my lifestyle itself.
Balance is the name of my game this year.
STILL.... pretty fancy!

Top Bottom