Ficus Benjamina Chop

Craigm

Mame
Reaction score
From what I know chopping all the green from a benjamina can be very hit n miss. Most wouldn't do it as backbudding
often just does not take place leaving a dead trunk. Hopefully you have better luck.

regards Craig

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As with mine....

I've seen many others that do the ....

Come back from The dead buds at the base...

But they are always Too low to be useful...

Oh by the way Boise...

I'm totally with you on the winter thing!

I might get a $200 halide this year....and only keep a few, more healthy.

Sorce

Boise_Guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have several of these that I used last winter. My wife and I have even decided we like the pink light they give off as a light in the evening. When you walk past my house at night it probably seems suspicious as other may assume I might be growing something else....I have 4 south facing windows, each of which emits a warm pink glow that can be seen quite well from the outside at night. I'm probably on some government list to keep an eye on me, but no-one has come knocking yet! haha. Another friend wants to know if I have anyone knocking on my door looking for a red light district... xD

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ZZLP8G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have several of these that I used last winter. My wife and I have even decided we like the pink light they give off as a light in the evening. When you walk past my house at night it probably seems suspicious as other may assume I might be growing something else....I have 4 south facing windows, each of which emits a warm pink glow that can be seen quite well from the outside at night. I'm probably on some government list to keep an eye on me, but no-one has come knocking yet! haha. Another friend wants to know if I have anyone knocking on my door looking for a red light district... xD

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ZZLP8G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Lmao I'm actually on a government list cause of my trees. Last year I got a knock on my door from the sheriff with a warrant to search my garden. Well, he found lots of plant but not the kind they were expecting. When you have 480 square feet of shade clothe all attached covering a large portion of your yard, it's easy to be watched. I'm still having the ghetto bird fly by low everyday lol.

Aaron

Labreapits

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice workwork Boise!

Thank you for sharing your progress, and thanks everyone for posting. I have several variegated binjis that I need to root prune and air layer, and this thread has been helpful.

Boise_Guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a house plant Ficus that I would eventually like to work into a bonsai
Yours is nicer than mine methinx. As per Sorce's suggestion, I'd at least consider trying to fuse the trunks (if thats what you are going for) prior to the chop. I'm doing that to another, smaller cluster of Ficus Benjamina now too. I used raffia to bring all the trunks together...then hurry up and wait. Need to be careful to not have any spots where the raffia is alone in a strand as it can scar the trunks...thats what I had going on, but by then they had started fusing and I just removed the raffia and used paraffin tape to keep them held together to finish fusing with a small string at the top of the fuse holding it in place.

Regarding my ficus, I've got many buds on the trunk with the large branch at the top. The buds started within just a few days. And now, just 2 days ago I've noticed a new bud coming from a conjoined portion of the other two trunks that don't have any branches...so far so good! I'll add pictures in the next couple days hopefully.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Lmao I'm actually on a government list cause of my trees. Last year I got a knock on my door from the sheriff with a warrant to search my garden. Well, he found lots of plant but not the kind they were expecting. When you have 480 square feet of shade clothe all attached covering a large portion of your yard, it's easy to be watched. I'm still having the ghetto bird fly by low everyday lol.

Aaron
Damn, that's F'd up man...

Boise_Guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You have any pics?
Why of course I do! I've even got the google sheet documentation records and amazon cloud drive album to boot if you like!

At the risk of confusing things, I'll just put the info here in this thread, but note that this post is regarding a different tree than all the other pics I've posted prior in this thread. I got this triple trunk Ficus Benjamina in this post for free from a nursery friend. Disclaimer -- I do not claim to be a bonsai master...or even to know exactly what I'm doing. I'm posting this since it was asked for and in case maybe it will help us all (including me) learn something.

1/30/16 -- First two pics show it when I got it from my friend. I potted it just after the pics and it spent the winter inside near a south facing window and supplemented under the pink LED grow light I linked earlier in this thread.

4/17/16 -- I raffia'd the three trunks together tightly. Just soaked the raffia in water and wrapped and pulled the trunks together. It was doable at this point for these smaller trunks, I have no idea how well this will (or won't) work for the bigger trunks we're discussing elsewhere in this thread.... I thought I took pics of it at this time...but I can't find them! I think it was still too cold here at night so I believe it spent a bit more time indoors before going out for the summer.

6/11/16 -- Here, the next two pictures (3 and 4) show it with the raffia still on after 2 months. Notice the couple spots where I left just a strand or two of raffia holding the trunks...later on I would discover this was scarring the trunks a bit. Were I to do it again, I would use a lot more raffia and cover everything, or run some raffia longways along the trunks first, or find some other means to evenly distribute the pressure along the whole trunkline and prevent scarring from being cinched together.

7/4/16 -- Finally, I realized my error on the raffia scarring and removed the raffia at this time. It wasn't awful scarring, but it wasn't great either. Regarding the fusion however, I was not expecting it to have worked so well so fast....honestly, the trunks seemed pretty darned fused to me (and my wife for 2nd opinion) already along the inside junctions of the 3 trunks. The trunks stayed together even w/o raffia and looked good. My reading indicated this was likely too fast to have fused together, so despite what looked like pretty decent fusion, we still decided better safe than sorry so I wrapped the trunks again. Only this time I used paraffin wax "tape" (which isn't sticky) to wrap the trunks with the thought that I didn't need much cinching strength anymore and that this would just sort hold them in place for now with a string or two tied at the top of the fusion area to keep the trunks from wobbling apart from the topside.

7/20/16 The last two pics (5 and 6 in this post) were just taken today and show I'm actually getting some air layer roots in there under the paraffin...in just over 2 weeks. I'm tempted to cut the paraffin off and string the roots down the crevasses of the trunks and then re-paraffin it to see if I can get the roots to keep running downwards and...well I dunno, do something cool -- like fuse to the trunks and thicken the trunkline even more...or get them to run all the way down and provide aerial roots off the trunk to the soil...or something...I really don't know what to do at this point...ideas?

If you're still reading this...thanks! - Boise_Guy

Attachments

• IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 20160611_104200.jpg
    20160611_104200.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 20160611_104316.jpg
    20160611_104316.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20160720_163518.jpg
    20160720_163518.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 20160720_163543.jpg
    20160720_163543.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 93

Labreapits

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice pictures and write up! Thanks for the detail.

I like what you are doing with it.

Hopefully there will be some ideas for a good way to tie trunks together without digging in.

Labreapits

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
#1 I am thinking about fusing the trunks on. I bought it about 20 years ago at a grocery store. It was near death when I got it, and has survived much harsh treatment. The last couple of years it has spent most of its time in the garage under a couple full spectrum compact fluorescent lights. I have moved it outside to see if I can get any back budding low on the trunks. Is there any way to encourage it to bud? I know it is hit and miss.

Here is a cutting from this tree, so I know it is capable of back budding low on the trunk

Unfortunately this is the only one out of 3 that has.

--
Keith

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have about ten figs tied up, hoping they fuse. Theyre all small, but together they make a 2" trunk. Im fairly sure they will fuse, but how long it takes is a good question. I dont even know the species' name.. But they are the longer leaf local stranglers. I need a few more of the round leaf type to try fusing also. I try to use enough trees of varying sizes and let one stick out where a branch would look good, to try using a tree as a branch. For me its an invention because Ive never heard of letting one out as a branch. I collect the trees for free, theyre common and noone wants them in their fruit trees or coffee bushes. I think I will try a lot more, like 30 seedling sized trees or a bit bigger, sticks by themselves.
My air layered veriagated f ben is backbudding above the layer. Strange..but welcome.

Boise_Guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Three weeks post chop and this is the budding Im seeing. Most of it is on the trunk with the nice branch at its apex. However, there are two small buds on the other two trunks as seen on the first pic below... one is barely visible on the middle trunk and one noticable one on a fused portion of these otherwise budless trunks.

Dont mistake the leaves in the background as buds in the 1st pic...LoL. the buds on the two mostly bare trunks are small!

Boise_Guy

Attachments

• 20160725_191806.jpg
    20160725_191806.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 20160725_191830.jpg
    20160725_191830.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Boise_Guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Now that I have a bunch of new buds below the chops...do I chop off the last big branch that I originally left? Or do i leave it for now?

The branch in question is in red in the firat two pics.

Attachments

• 20160820_140447.jpg
    20160820_140447.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20160820_140518.jpg
    20160820_140518.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20160820_122303.jpg
    20160820_122303.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 20160820_122318.jpg
    20160820_122318.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 58

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Now that I have a bunch of new buds below the chops...do I chop off the last big branch that I originally left? Or do i leave it for now?

The branch in question is in red in the firat two pics.
There's plenty of foliage down low now, I'd take it off because it's stealing energy, and shading the lower growth.

Aaron

Top Bottom