Ficus Benjamina (home depot)

cship4885

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought this ficus for $5 at a home depot about 2 years ago. I have taken TONS of cuttings off of it in the past two years without figuiring out any plan for this tree in the future. Pictures were taken directly after pruning, I will have to look and see if I have before pictures. Let me know what you think, the first picture is what I imagine the front to be. The fourth is the the back with two large wounds.

I know benjamina isn't the greatest of ficus variety for bonsai, but hopefully it will look somewhat convincing seveal years down the road.

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

cship4885

Seedling
Reaction score
A couple more pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
One of the biggest probs. one usually faces with benjamins is that they have a tendency to die back rather far, in comparison to others like Ficus microcarpa, which are much more easily adapted into a bonsai. Another hinderance is there leaf size...
Having said all that, I would definitely recommend that one clips as they go, rather than letting it grow uncontollable, and cutting back very hard... I think one will find the results a little better. Also, I would plan on bigger tree to in comparison with the leaf size, which I know can be reduced, but only so far...
Benjamin Bonsai are doable and are very nice, just a little more tricky !!!
good luck !!!

Top Bottom