Ficus bug thingy problem

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So my ficus which has hardly skipped a beat ever since I got it has some sort of bug problem, at least I think it is a bug but they are not evident beyond the problem.

A couple of weeks back I noticed quite a lot of the last leaves on the branches were yellowing and curled up, it was just one leaf per branch. They had red blotches and white patches and maybe a touch of black was in there and when I uncurled a leaf it looked as if it was a hatchery of some sort.
Anyhoo, I removed the affected leaves gave it a squirt with insecticide and hoped for the best.

A week later they were back again on just the tip leaves so I repeated the removal and spray and now they are affecting the smaller newer leaves although in a much lower number than before which is encouraging.

Still I have no idea what it is or if what I'm doing is the right treatment, mealy bugs maybe or spider mites or something completely different?
The tree otherwise seems healthy, lush and green and pushing new growth so not sure if I should be doing anything else.

For the moment I don't have any pics as I destroy the evidence when I see it but I imagine in a few days I can find some more, any ideas on what this maybe please?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry but need pics.

It's like trying to diagnose a car problem from the owner mimicking the noise they hear.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Your description sounds something like mealy bugs. READ the LABEL. of the pesticide, if it does not list mealy bugs, or "adelgids" (the family mealy bugs belong to), if not listed it won't work. You must coat all leaf surfaces when you spray, not just tops of leaves, and you must repeat at the suggested interval, which is also listed on the label of the pesticide. If pesticide says repeat every 5 days, you need to do so until you see no evidence of infestation, and then spray one more time. If you do not follow directions exactly, you risk developing a strain of mealy bug resistant to that particular pesticide.

Post pictures or take a sample to local ag extension to get a good identification. Modern pesticides are targeted to specific pests, and will not work on un-related pests. You need to know what insect you are battling.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Like Paradox said we need to see pictures !Please don't go spraying random chemical pesticides on plants until you identify whats causing the problem- you might just as well be pouring it down the toilet for all the good it will do!! For what its worth if it is mealy bugs or spider mites then washing up liquid and water is quite effective and far less toxic...... but then the multinational chemical companies wouldnt be making any money from you LOL!!:)

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Sounds more like thrips to me. Give them a Google.

It does or at least did look like that when it was affecting the the larger leaves and they curled up with the larvae in there but now it is just the new leaves and I guess they don't stay on the tree long enough.
Thrips would make sense too as they fly and there is no other evidence of any bugs elsewhere on the tree but I don't actually see them on it but we do get thrips that land on us in the evening so in absence of seeing them on the plant they seem like a likely culprit.
Will have to look closer though to see for sure.
I use a Pyrethrum spray which does work well and I am familiar with it.

I agree pics would help, if I see any more I will take some.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
There was nothing at all in there.
When I first saw it on the larger leaves then yes there were bugs curled up but since I got rid of them there have been no visible buggage.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This pic is pulled from Google, but this is what thrips look likeand their damage is similar.download.jpg

Aaron

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yep that is what it looked like at first but now I guess I'm getting at them before they have a chance to get that bad.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yep that is what it looked like at first but now I guess I'm getting at them before they have a chance to get that bad.
Your leaves are still damaged from the pests and always will be until they fall off or you cut them off. I'd keep up on a regimen as Leo suggested. You seemed to have done a good job getting them, wouldn't want them coming back. good luck!

Aaron

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well I have been cutting them off as I find them, I figured that would be best.
Guess I will keep doing what I'm doing then. I definitely don't want them back, have enough trouble with Aphids and Mealies as it is on other plants, all I can really do is stay vigilant and keep on top of things.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So far there is no new damage to report so that is good.
Funny thing is last week I noticed the council going around and spraying all the planted street trees which are mainly ficus and they put signs up saying "Don't Touch, fumigation".
Today I took a closer look and every single tree had a much worse infestation than mine did.

No idea what they sprayed but hopefully it puts a dent in the population.

Top Bottom