Ficus Burt Davy

Mortalis

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a ficus Burt Davy. It seems to fruit profusely and I am wondering if nipping the fruit off before it matures will save the tree energy that could be directed elsewhere or if it will just try to replace it.

Thanks much..

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Im no expert but i think taking out the fruit will do help in the development of the tree. I have seen a nice fruiting ficus 'burt davi' at the Mid-American Bonsai show in chicago last year, if not mistaken i think it is owned by Dave Lohan of Dasu Bonsai.

Attachments

• IMG_1289.jpg
    IMG_1289.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 74

Mortalis

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have had it for about three months and it continues to fruit profusely.. Do they ever stop? It is growing well at the same time though. Just it seems every time it grows a new leaf a new fruit is there at the same time.. I just figure that energy could go to development. Though I am very happy with its growth rate. I have been treating it about like a retusa and it appears to like the same treatment.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes,they fruit well,and mine will also push roots easily everywhere.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Taking off the fruit will re-direct the energy and resources for a while, but it will keep on. It depends on how much work you're willing to put in!

Veld figs (my preferred name for them) are vigorous growers. In their native range they're known as "rock-splitters" (easy to figure out.)

They're also one of the few Ficus I know of that sometimes grow naturally in a cascading form.

Last edited:
Top Bottom