Ficus Burtt Davyi Experiments 1 & 2

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey guys—not much positive to report. I lost all of the plants in the disk planted with dirt. I probably should’ve waited to put them outside so I could have controlled things better while they became established.

Those in the pumice disk have done better, and with the warmer temps the ones that are left are growing, albeit slowly. I think I lost 2 or 3 there.

The “foil exoskeleton” has been okay, but for my blow-and-go gardeners who blow it off of its ledge regularly. A month ago or so this caused the top leader to snap, so we’ll see. It should be fine.
My lawn guys to this weekly! It drives me nuts!!!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very intrigued.
A few of us were talking in this thread about using cholla wood as a scaffold for strangler fig roots.
Theoretically, the cholla should rot away as the tree develops, similar to nature.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Very intrigued.
A few of us were talking in this thread about using cholla wood as a scaffold for strangler fig roots.
Theoretically, the cholla should rot away as the tree develops, similar to nature.
I have some dead maples that I was considering for the same purpose. I also have some Ficus Burtt Davyi cuttings with roots that are at least a foot long in water right now.

If only I had the time!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have some dead maples that I was considering for the same purpose. I also have some Ficus Burtt Davyi cuttings with roots that are at least a foot long in water right now.

If only I had the time!
Well, I got cholla wood if you want to make a trade. 😉

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here’s this one right now:
512E5506-F94A-40F5-B4B2-42692DBB1876.jpeg
Probably should’ve removed the figs when they were tiny to put more energy in leaf growth, but no big deal. There have been roots along the bottom screen for a long while now, though I’m gonna let them keep filling up the foil “exoskeleton” for a while before allowing them to escape to create a shallow, controlled nebari. Will probably wait one more year for that phase to start.

Until then, I will slow down the growth on the upper left branch so the bottom can become thicker. Will also wire the lower right one down (again) to give it some downward movement.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

If only I had the time!
Strike that! Looks like this guy’s roots are 30” long:
A224CA6A-31DD-4BBC-9C73-4C3807652A8E.jpeg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking good!
In our discussions on the other thread, the thought was to let the cholla wood decompose naturally on it's own over time. It should last just long enough to allow the ficus roots to reach down to the pot.
@nuttiest already has hers put together and posted. I'm putting mine together soon.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Johnp's ideas are making me want to try more cascading root styles. I wonder if out and down, tiered like a cake would look stupid.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Johnp's ideas are making me want to try more cascading root styles. I wonder if out and down, tiered like a cake would look stupid.
I always tell myself that if I can make it look interesting, and there's still a plausible natural storyline behind it, it's safe to try.

geargarcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Have you thought about how are going to expose the roots?

If I remember correctly, in “The World of Ficus Bonsai”, Jerry Meislik recommends using foil to protect new roots and then slowly exposing the tops of them them over time; letting the tops of the primary roots harden off before exposing more. With what you have growing, you may have fine feeder roots and thicker primary roots all mixed up together. Do you think slowly exposing them in a similar fashion will give the plant/roots time to adapt?

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks, I have one of his books, too. I think once I remove the screen and place it on a shallow pot and let the roots run, they will be ready to expose in the manner you/Jerry describe.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This one’s starting to “go.” I have a few roots popping out of the bottom drainage holes that I drilled, so clearly the roots have extended out of the foam channels into the outside area, and are probably starting to circle around.

AC208CCC-FFDB-4DFA-8AB0-75EB07D5AA56.jpeg

59CED84C-161C-4EFC-BB86-3D24EE6E0CDC.jpeg

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
how will you get the roots to follow the channels then?

Top Bottom