Ficus carica collection

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey nuts,

Last night I was at my deceased grandmothers (R.I.P.) home which was left to my father. The back yard is in rough condition since she's been gone (a little over 4 years) and my dad is beginning to do landscaping to clean it up some. While he was telling me his plans, I noticed a small fig that was right in the soon to be demolition zone so naturally I offered to take it. It was planted about 7 years ago as a 5gl nursery plant and has struggled it's entire life in the spot it was in. So it never got very big (but produced every year).
It has around a 3" fused base from all of the subtrunks it has. I plan to let it grow for a couple years to fuse more and put some bulk on.

I know it's not a great species because of leaf size, but I didn't really get anything when my grandmother passed so I'm happy to call this tree mine (she also loved plants) and remember her by it.

Aaron20160330_084529.jpg 20160330_084109.jpg

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for your loss, enjoy that tree! It is a great thing to have a tree that can remind you of someone.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry for your loss, that tree will be a great reminder. I managed to get some cuttings to root from the crab apple tree in my grandma's yard after she died, but I lost them in the bonsai disaster of 2002.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have seen some photos of bonsai created from F. carica, the leaves of some cultivars can be reduced to rather small ( 1 inch) size. Some don't reduce as well. To get small leaves ramification is key.

They root relatively easily from cuttings. They also sucker from roots, and root cuttings will grow too. The trunks are too straight on this clump, but it was just collected, not a worry right away. I would remove the second thickest trunk from the clump, pot it up separately. Then work the remaining as a clump style forest. Or let it get bushy, and make a different plan as ideas present themselves.

I like the idea of creating bonsai with fruit you can eat.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have seen some photos of bonsai created from F. carica, the leaves of some cultivars can be reduced to rather small ( 1 inch) size. Some don't reduce as well. To get small leaves ramification is key.

They root relatively easily from cuttings. They also sucker from roots, and root cuttings will grow too. The trunks are too straight on this clump, but it was just collected, not a worry right away. I would remove the second thickest trunk from the clump, pot it up separately. Then work the remaining as a clump style forest. Or let it get bushy, and make a different plan as ideas present themselves.

I like the idea of creating bonsai with fruit you can eat.
It really didn't mind being dug at all, even without care for the last few years. It's got leaves and little figs on it! :)

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This thing got its first cutback and partial deflation today. It's been making figs since I collected it and I just got so tired of taking them off I stopped.
20160608_171613.jpg
The one fig left after pruning (don't worry there's more on the way) lol 20160608_171627.jpg
It's got roots crawling everywhere out of the drain holes. I think I'm going to throw it in a nice pot next year.

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This thing needs pruning pretty regularly now that we've gotten HOT! Leaf reduction isn't even that hard on these guys.
Full size leaf20160626_073152.jpg
And the new leaves after pruning.20160626_073207.jpg
Aaron

Top Bottom