ficus carica (fruiting fig)

fignewton

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
anyone know where i can get a pre bonsai ficus carica to work on.

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
IMO the leaves are too big. Bout the closest your going to come is in a half-barrel.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Welcome aboard :) First off please update your profile so we know where you are and what Zone you are in. There are a lot of people that can help you with your question but you are talking about shipping a tropical which won't work out in certain situations like the current temperatures in the North Eastern USA. There are other options so update us :)

Grimmy

fignewton

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
update to profile

sorry everyone i live in fall river ma. and i am in zone 6b i can store any fig in basement where it can be cool the fig tree

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
While F. carica isn't a tropical, I doubt it will grow in zone 6. And I agree, 8-inch leaves are much too large for bonsai

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
The leaves will reduce to approx 3" in bonsai culture. They are not common here in southern confornia but do pop up here and there. I have a huge one that I took several hardwood cuttings off of. I'll take a look to see the size and shape if the cuttings

fignewton

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
fig

nathanbs thanks for replying.if you do have good cuuting the thickest and shortest trunk would nice. if you want you can call my cell is 508-837-8582.also how much would you charge.i had huge fig too witch was my moms it was about 70 yrs old and was cascadeing. so the thicker the better. ty fignewton

fignewton

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
apple tree

any any apple tree stumps or pre bonsai and the cost.my kid is looking for one

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While F. carica isn't a tropical, I doubt it will grow in zone 6. And I agree, 8-inch leaves are much too large for bonsai

It won't grow in the ground up here (well, some varieties might, but they'd probably be killed to the ground each winter), but they can be grown easily in pots. I've had a couple for almost 10 years here in western NY, they are not bonsai (they are in large pots) - I grow them for the figs. I know Bill Valavanis has a few small f. carica bonsai and based on them, I can say that the leaf size does reduce quite a bit...though still on the large size.

Chris

fignewton

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
fig tree

coh would sell one of your figs or the other guy would.if can sell one could you cut back

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
1536613_10200981353888100_462960378_n.jpg

1560645_10200981355688145_1006757428_n.jpg
1545996_10200981355848149_1588197981_n.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have any rooted cuttings of mine, but if I cut back in the spring I'll try to root one.

You can order f. carica from some of the edible gardening places, like raintree, or edible landscaping, and people sell them on ebay. They also occasionally show up here in nurseries, Lowes, etc. There are many different varieties, with different fig color/size, plant hardiness, and probably leaf size/shape.

Chris

fignewton

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
fig

ty coh i found a 3 gallon fig trees at edible landscaping for about $30.when start on it i will post pics

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hirt's also sells tissue culture rooted F. carica (Chicago hardy) cuttings for 7 dollars. I ordered two of these last year and these are the results after 11 months: (see attached image).

These grow very fast! I never considered the possibility of turning them into bonsai. Would the leaf size diminish just like in the pictures someone posted earlier in this thread?

Attachments

• figs.jpg
    figs.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 18

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The ones from NE bonsai come from Chikugo-en I saw a few there last weekend. He has a few real nice ones in the back. His Pre-bonsai shohins are very fairly priced. I think he's working with a dwarf variety but I'm not sure. I bought one this year and put it in a Horst eggshell. Will try to remember to take a pic of it. Pretty sure he does not ship.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
The ones from NE bonsai come from Chikugo-en I saw a few there last weekend. He has a few real nice ones in the back. His Pre-bonsai shohins are very fairly priced. I think he's working with a dwarf variety but I'm not sure. I bought one this year and put it in a Horst eggshell. Will try to remember to take a pic of it. Pretty sure he does not ship.

yeah he had a nice one that he was asking close to $1000 for

fignewton

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
fig

anyone going to cut there fig tree (ficus carica) i would 2in or bigger cutting.if so let me i will pay foe shipping

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I am curious: Why is it that you want this fig in particular?
There are so many better figs?

Top Bottom