Ficus carica stump

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ficus carica is so very easy to propagate by very large cuttings.
One has to do this when the tree is fully dormant.

It's been after mid February that I have stubbed one Ficus carica which was growing out of a tiny crevice on a wall. Unfortunately the tree was already on its way to break dormancy.
I just cut flat with a saw the protruding (through the crevice) trunk and the stump's diameter is about 6-8cm with good tapering. The trunk has a cascading movement.

I have planted the stump in a small deep pot, its diameter is just enough for the perimeter of the stump to fit into. The pot has been put into a clear plastic bag and the trunk misted regularly to preserve moisture.
After no more than 12 days there is a lot of white roots all over the lower part of the trunk and around the cut perimeter as well. So I covered those roots with wet moss to prevent them from drying out.

I had been prompted by @bonhe and @0soyoung to be patient and wait for the buds to break.
And now here are the new leaves unfolding!
IMG_3746_zpsbtych2tg.jpg
IMG_3747_zpsnkfdio3b.jpg

This is side A
IMG_3741_zpswg7ns9cz.jpg

And this is side B
IMG_3743_zpsugvnhgrr.jpg

I think side B has better qualities.

Interested to read your opinions :)

silversara

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I really like the bark, it adds a lot of interesting texture and nice gritty character.

I almost like side A better, but I'm a sucker for scaring so that just could be it. ;)
Side B looks almost more balanced? Or the lines of the tree flow more smoothly and seem to create a more cohesive whole picture of a tree.

Looking forward to seeing your progression with this tree!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for your comment.
... ...Side B looks almost more balanced? Or the lines of the tree flow more smoothly and seem to create a more cohesive whole picture of a tree.
This is exactly the impression that I get with side B.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the image so far. What are you going to do about the size of the leaves? I've seen some leaves get very large. I guess if you keep it root bound the leaves and the internodes could be kept short.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@cbroad I do like your "professional" signature :)

In fact, the leaves can be considerably reduced. The need the correct technique to be applied.
If interested, you can read for example this Pinching of F. carica
It's in French, I don't know if you can read... but there are ample translations on the internet :)

I wonder if @AlainK might has some more tips about reducing size of leaves. He trains a lot of species I think...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice!
This is a native Ficus?
Awesome!

Here is another I'd rub buds off of....

Off that end nub.

I'd look to remove that later this year, after its safely rooted.

And decide quickly whether the branching will all follow the singular direction of the tree.....

I think it should....

This is a wicked cool start!

Sorce

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for your response, Sorce!
Nice!
This is a native Ficus?
Awesome!
Here is another I'd rub buds off of....
Off that end nub.
I'd look to remove that later this year, after its safely rooted.
And decide quickly whether the branching will all follow the singular direction of the tree.....
I think it should....
This is a wicked cool start!
Sorce
Sorce, you are reading into my schedule! :D
You are correct, I am just waiting for more green and the second step is to rub off all those bumps which are literally covering every single mm on the surface of the bark and proceed to further removing/prunning branches or even cut off the trunk and go for a slanting shohin bonsai. At the moment, I visualize branching following the flow of direction of the tree, just like you suggested
Awaiting for more members proposing their suggestions :)

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
And this is not a native species.
You can see Ficus carica or else fig trees all over the Mediterranean and in many more places around the world.
Don't you know their delicious fruits in the summer? Figs, Sorce!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I wonder if @AlainK might has some more tips about reducing size of leaves. He trains a lot of species I think...

No, no, no!

First I don't have that many species, secondly I only grow trees that don't need to be protected in the winter, and the climate is too cold here in winter for Mediterranean species.

Some in the south of France grow Ficus carica bonsai, the leaves can be reduced to 1.5-2cm sometimes, but I've never seen a convincing one - personal opinion.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@my nellie
Haha thanks, I try to be professional as much as possible ;)

I have one in my yard that I have to cut back every year because the tops get killed to the ground because of our winters we've been having the last few years and I always get leggy root suckers that grow to about 8 feet every year. These extend so much I probably have 1 foot internode lengths, so I never imagined these could be bonsaied.

I work with a guy from Palestine at my nursery and he roots these every year and he's told me you can root big sections. I'm going to watch your progression here because if it works I could have an endless supply of cuttings. I'm a tinkerer and I think there's always merit in trying. Good luck!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I know Cram - by name, from French forums but I had missed the thread.

Very convincing, and you live under the right climate for this species.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
They are crazy those Figs!

Here it is the stump as of today. 40 days after previous photo reportage.
Please, bear with mobile phone photos...
It is also a little tricky to remove the pot and put it in front of a plain background so...

Photo0748_zpsg6li4yyg.jpg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Like I said : they are crazy!
@bonhe What do you think? Are they crazy or not? :)
I am going to show you soon my pomegranate orchard in training.

Here it is on June 16th
Photo0919_zpswer5jkcd.jpg

As of today (sorry no photo...) the longer of the new shoots is 55cm!

Edit : I apologize... 55cm is the length of the J. maple shoot. Ficus longer shoot is only 34cm

Last edited:

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice stump!
I have one that is by no means the size of yours, thanks for the links too. Some good info in them.
Mine came home and dropped the only 2 leaves it had and the fruit too but now it seems to be re-shooting quite well. It could really do with a repot too but now isn't really the time for that so while it is growing I'll just leave it for now. Might put some wire on it though.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...It could really do with a repot too but now isn't really the time for that so while it is growing I'll just leave it for now. Might put some wire on it though.
Sound decision I would say.
I have not wired anything on mine because I am going to cut back severely all the branches which I am going to keep.
But yes, it's better to wire early although ficus branches are relatively flexible.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Funny though, reading that thread you posted by Cram he says repot like any ficus, well I'd happily repot my tiger barks now.
I'll think about it a bit but as long as it is doing OK there is probably not much need.
I could cut mine back too but I think I'll wait and see if it grows into itself first so a little styling for the sake of it and maybe some pinching. :D

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Sound decision I would say..
I am referring only to Ficus carica. I know nothing about F. tiger bark.
Please also note that I am more on the preservative side :)
I mean I would not repot my F. carica now in view of coming fall even though greek temperatures are really hot during autumn, too.
And my stump is in desperate need of repotting I assure you. But I will not do this now. I want the roots to continue growing undisturbed and I will root prune next spring.

Top Bottom