Ficus Forest

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I had a few cuttings around that I had struck last year. I have been getting rid of some stuff that I don't have a plan for, too many cuttings. So, it was either use them or toss them. I decided to put together a forest or group planting.

Cuttings
DSC03133-1.jpg

Out of the pot
DSC03134-1.jpg

I decided to screw them to a board to keep them in position. The pot I am putting it in does not have many wire holes so maybe this will work.

DSC03134-1.jpg

DSC03139-1.jpg

In position
DSC03141-1.jpg

I trimmed them and added some movement, then put them in the pot. I will take a while, but I think it will look good in a few years.

DSC03144-1.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03143-1.jpg
    DSC03143-1.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 3

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This reminds me to do mine as I have a few sitting around as well.
Looks good already. I have seen your older forest of these which look really good.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I imagine ficus will grow a lot in one summer, in your area.

They do, it will just take a while for the composition to come together.

This reminds me to do mine as I have a few sitting around as well.
Looks good already. I have seen your older forest of these which look really good.

Thanks!

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like a good start to me! In time they may fuse and turn out to be one great tree someday. Or stay a forest. Either way it's a cool start that I'd like to see it in the future.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's gonna be really cool!
I have never seen someone put a forest on a board before, that's a great idea.
Seems much easier than all the wire grids and anchors I see in books.
I haven't ventured into building a forest yet....maybe next year....but when I do I will probably do it this way...

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
That's gonna be really cool!
I have never seen someone put a forest on a board before, that's a great idea.
Seems much easier than all the wire grids and anchors I see in books.
I haven't ventured into building a forest yet....maybe next year....but when I do I will probably do it this way...

Thanks!

I had not seen it before either. There weren't many tie down holes in pot and I struggled wiring them in. I had just finished affixing maples to boards during repotting and started thinking that it might work, so I gave it a whirl. I suggest that if the trunk is kinda small that you drill a pilot hole in it, if not it will split when you start tightening the screw.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks!

I had not seen it before either. There weren't many tie down holes in pot and I struggled wiring them in. I had just finished affixing maples to boards during repotting and started thinking that it might work, so I gave it a whirl. I suggest that if the trunk is kinda small that you drill a pilot hole in it, if not it will split when you start tightening the screw.
Yeah, good idea...
Just curious, what kind of screw did you use?
Brass?
Zinc?

Top Bottom