Ficus fun/torture

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I decided to chop up my little mallsai macrocarpa I got for free a little over a year ago. I don't really have any specific plans for it, but I cut it into 4 pieces I saved (and a lot of trimmings I tossed).

This is the tree when I got it:
2017-06-09.JPG

I just let it do its own thing and guided some of its aerial roots into their own pots but otherwise left it alone.
Tree today:
ficus 001.JPGficus 009.JPG

I wasn't too sure where to begin and I'm still a noob (though I'm building a greenhouse for them this fall).
Finally I decided on keeping 2 stumps from it and 2 pieces that are mostly just experiments,

Stump 1:
ficus 012.JPGficus 017.JPG
Stump 1 was the original base of the tree and was almost completely underground.

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stump 2 was basically just the next section of trunk. It had one large aerial root so I think it will survive well, but I'm hoping it will also grow roots from the trunk cut.

ficus 013.JPGficus 015.JPG

Then piece 3 which was the top of the tree with two long aerial roots.
ficus 018_01.JPGficus 020.JPG
It's just an experiment. I kind of knotted up the roots a bit as best I could and stuffed the whole thing into a gallon pot. It's in regular bonsai mix except for a top inch or so of perlite. I'm hoping that years from now it might have interesting exposed roots.

And piece 4 which had an awkward aerial root sprouting off the top. which I decided to leave to see what would happen.
ficus 022.JPG

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I will bet every one of them lives, and in a few years time you will have some very interesting material to work with.

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
man that vertical is pleading for some wire :D

I know, but my thinking was that most of that will eventually get cut off anyway. I'm hoping that years from now the roots may grow together into an interesting trunk.

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will bet every one of them lives, and in a few years time you will have some very interesting material to work with.

That's what I'm hoping for, they don't look like anything now, but hopefully will be something eventually.

Top Bottom