Ficus Ginseng Help

BonsaiJ33

Seed
Reaction score
Hello,

Very new to bonsai I tried to do my research before purchasing but got a ficus ginseng as a gift. It was root bound so I ordered a new pot with soil (it was organic apparently not the best I didn’t know). It’s on a window sill with plenty of sunshine. It’s been reported for 3 weeks now but I have some concerns.

1) despite me not over watering I check the soil before I water I’ve only watered 3 times since repotting, the soil gets some surface mould it’s really bothering me I’ve tried cinnamon and I’m currently spraying the soil with an anti fungal spray but it comes back.

2) The tree has loads of new growth but all the new growth (buds) has very very tiny brown dots on them not sure if it’s normal or fungus related. All the old leaves are perfectly fine no change at all. I’m wondering if I should start with fertiliser pellets maybe? I was waiting until March.

It was watered today, any help and advice appreciated. I’ll attach photos.

Attachments

• B54AB541-0740-4A68-B4F7-91859CCCD0EA.jpeg
    B54AB541-0740-4A68-B4F7-91859CCCD0EA.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 31ACF474-7CC4-48C6-A005-E8B35851EF51.jpeg
    31ACF474-7CC4-48C6-A005-E8B35851EF51.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 15
  • E48F71A6-93A6-4BAF-99F8-9761B7803950.jpeg
    E48F71A6-93A6-4BAF-99F8-9761B7803950.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 76741A43-E2F2-4C59-B317-16CE2FBFA90A.jpeg
    76741A43-E2F2-4C59-B317-16CE2FBFA90A.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 24

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome!

Please add ryour nearest major metro and your grow zone as near as you know it to your profile. That will help people offer climate relevant advice...we're an international community!

The brown spots I see look mechanical to me. That is they look like damage insulated to fungus or insect...a bruise, if you will. Tender young leaves can get damaged easily and likely this tree was transported recently. The tree otherwise looks healthy! I'd only start to worry if they keep showing up/start showing up on old leaves as well.

Don't be afraid of organic soils...especially for tropical species. I grew ficus in miracle grow for decades. I'd still be using it if it weren't for the fungus gnats. They won't typically hurt a tree...they eat the decay in the soil. They also lay their eggs in damp organic soil. And they buzz about and annoy me while I'm working...I have plants on my desk. I've started layering an inch of inorganic soil over organic soil so they can't lay their eggs! Ibalso have switched to mostly inorganic soil for most everything I grow.

For bonsai, most use at least a partly inorganic soil for several reasons. It tends to last longer. Moisture levels are easier to control. It doesn't compact and cause anaerobic conditions as easily. It's also leaner on nutrients which is better when you're in the refinement phase and don't necessarily want "wild" growth.

Repot if you want...but it's also safe to leave it for a while provided you pay attention to watering.

Your tree is likely mostly dormant right now. Depends on where you live though. If in the south US, it might be waking up. Dormant trees use less water. You might be able to get away with watering once every week or two in the winter but have to water daily or more in summer. Part of that is heat...part is the plant is not as thirsty when it is not actively growing.

Top Bottom