Ficus Ginseng pests

Enoxo

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a ficus ginseng that is indoors all the time and seems to have attracted some kind of bug that is burrowing and moving throughout its soil.

What bug is this? And how do I go about cleansing the ginseng of it?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
May be a type of fungus gnat. Does the soil stay wet? Do you see tiny bugs flying around the tree anywhere?

Enoxo

Seedling
Reaction score
No flying pests, no. And the soil does stay slightly damp.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd reduce your watering to let the soil dry out a bit, wait to water until the top of the soil is dry down to a half inch or so. A good way to gauge it is to poke it with your finger down to the first knuckle or so. If it feels damp, don't water. If it feels dry or barely moist then go ahead and water. I've found a lot of these soil pests go away if you let it dry out some between waterings.

Enoxo

Seedling
Reaction score
I’ll give that a go. Thank you very much.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That looks like a pillbug. They are not destructive of live tissue. Does it roll up into a ball if you pick it up or disturb it? Drench the soil in 10% 35% Hydrogen Peroxide for water two consecutive waterings

Enoxo

Seedling
Reaction score
It doesn’t seem to curl, but it may be too small in the larvae stage? I don’t know. I’ll try the hydrogen peroxide if the drying of the soil doesn’t get rid of them.

Enoxo

Seedling
Reaction score
This may help. I poked around the soil with a paper clip and found / extracted a few of these... they look like eggsacs.

Top Bottom