Ficus ginseng tiny soil flies

critter72

Seed
Reaction score
Hi, I repotted my ficus ginseng about a month ago. I trimmed the roots, replaced the bonsai soil and soaked it. It’s doing fine - new leaves starting to appear. However loads of tiny winged flies (1.5mm) are appearing from the soil and creeping all over the pot and soil. I don’t know what they are or how to get rid of them. The ficus usually lives in kitchen but has been relegated to the living room as I don’t fancy having them near any food. Can anyone advise how to get rid of them? Thanks.

Attachments

• F462DE41-2D7D-4B00-91BD-CB05D57E33CA.jpeg
    F462DE41-2D7D-4B00-91BD-CB05D57E33CA.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 12

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Tiny soil flies are usually fungus gnats. The larvae are small white worms that thrive in damp, organic soil. They have been known to damage roots as they feed on organic matter in the soil.
Tend to be worse when the soil is kept wet so letting the soil get a little drier before watering can keep them at bay.
Hydrogen peroxide is a good, safe treatment to kill any larvae in the soil. You can find lots of advice on mix and how to by searching online.

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you're using organic soil and still having fly trouble next season, I don't see why you couldn't swap to inorganic instead since indoor trees are much easier to keep properly watered in most cases.

And if you are already using inorganic, I really hope those flies aren't chomping on your roots. The H2O2 idea is something I've heard from a lot of places so I'd definitely take @Shibui 's advice and look into that.

Best of luck!

critter72

Seed
Reaction score
Tiny soil flies are usually fungus gnats. The larvae are small white worms that thrive in damp, organic soil. They have been known to damage roots as they feed on organic matter in the soil.
Tend to be worse when the soil is kept wet so letting the soil get a little drier before watering can keep them at bay.
Hydrogen peroxide is a good, safe treatment to kill any larvae in the soil. You can find lots of advice on mix and how to by searching online.
Thanks for advice and identifying the little brats. I will do some searching for mixing and keep my fingers crossed.

critter72

Seed
Reaction score
If you're using organic soil and still having fly trouble next season, I don't see why you couldn't swap to inorganic instead since indoor trees are much easier to keep properly watered in most cases.

And if you are already using inorganic, I really hope those flies aren't chomping on your roots. The H2O2 idea is something I've heard from a lot of places so I'd definitely take @Shibui 's advice and look into that.

Best of luck!
I was so pleased at having not killed the plant by repotting as I’d never done it before. Will look into different potting soils next time. Thanks.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Peroxide will kill them but doesn't solve the underlying issue. Just water less and letting the soil dry more before watering in between watering will solve it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had them in my white rabbit foot fern and I sat a Petri dish of apple cider vinegar in the pot, and it seems to have killed a lot of them. Hope this can help

Top Bottom