Ficus group planting in fall

BalconyBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought some ficus microcarpa seedlings, about 2 year olds, that I plan to plant in a group. Would it be ok for the trees to be replanted in a group now in the fall? I read that ficus should be repotted in the summer, but I'm not sure if this counts as a repot since I will not do any root pruning. They will be growing indoors under a led grow light.

Also, since ficuses are not decidious, I'm not sure if their roots are as sensitive as those of decidious trees. Otherwise I will wait until summer, I'm just a little anxious to get going😄

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
impatience is not a good thing with bonsai!

I have done repots of tropicals in early winter. Most of the time they are fine. Sometimes they are not. Bottom heat can help to re-establish.

With a few young plants and minimal root-reduction I would not worry too much.

I do worry the minimal root reduction will turn into a lot of root reduction if you want to do a serious group planting.

tainoson

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
for what it's worth, and it's probably not much, i repotted several cuttings in late summer and they've all done well. i also did a full repot on a large green mound. it's a well established tree and i did significant root work on it during the repot, but it gave me no grief over it. both the cuttings as well as the tree came inside and under lights during our first cold snap and have stayed there. also, i've heard it said that a repot without root work is wasted effort and lost time.

ficus have a reputation for resilience ( a member here said you could plant them in crushed toilet seat and ripped up cardboard and they'd just keep on rockin') and so far, i can agree. i expect hearty roots and robust leaves help buffer them against significant change.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you could plant them in crushed toilet seat and ripped up cardboard and they'd just keep on rockin
True. Only a few things that they do not like, which are.. cold feet and to a lesser extend, too little light. Provide heat & light and ficus will grow

BalconyBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
impatience is not a good thing with bonsai!

I have done repots of tropicals in early winter. Most of the time they are fine. Sometimes they are not. Bottom heat can help to re-establish.

With a few young plants and minimal root-reduction I would not worry too much.

I do worry the minimal root reduction will turn into a lot of root reduction if you want to do a serious group planting.
Haha, funnilly enough, the patience side of bonsai is partly what drew me to bonsai at first, it is one of my weaknesses in life. I haven't mastered it yet obviously😂

Regarding your worry, can you be more specific? Are you meaning that when the whole group needs to be repotted, things will get complicated it no proper root pruning was done when composing the group?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha, funnilly enough, the patience side of bonsai is partly what drew me to bonsai at first, it is one of my weaknesses in life. I haven't mastered it yet obviously😂

Regarding your worry, can you be more specific? Are you meaning that when the whole group needs to be repotted, things will get complicated it no proper root pruning was done when composing the group?
typically to.make a group roots grt in the way, unless the trees are (too) far apart

Top Bottom