Ficus in Ruins

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’ve been captivated by scenes like these for as long as I can remember. Angkor Wat, for instance:
278038 278039

Something about lost civilization and forests reclaiming their space. In this group I’m sure I’m not alone.

I also know this is nothing novel, but I am hoping to turn this fascination into a little piece of reality in this thread. I’ve seen root-over-rock, root-over-structure, root-over-skull, etc., but this will be a hybrid of what I’ve seen done before. I also hope to add some new methods that haven’t been done in similar pursuits. I guess we’ll see.

First, it was time to go shopping ...

Found this on Wayfair:

And then, Home Depot:

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
While I have several types of ficus, I was interested in using a new-to-me one for this project. Placed an order with Wigert’s for several Ficus Green Island:

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Been starting some cuttings from the ficus in water. The roots appeared at about 3 weeks. Since I took them in winter, the strike rate has been marginal at best, but it’s working nevertheless:

I have been researching hydroponics a fair amount, no doubt influenced by @cmeg1 ‘s successes. I have decided to use the (passive) Kratky method to grow elongated roots for this project, which essentially goes like this:
  1. Once you have roots of a couple inches, whether by cuttings or seedlings ...
  2. Suspend the plant in a dark (so as to prevent algae) container containing a hydroponic nutrient solution so the roots—not the stem—are covered ...
  3. The plant consumes the nutrients and water ...
  4. As it drinks, the plant’s roots cause the water level to drop, exposing the roots to air ...
  5. Thus causing the ”water roots” to convert to “air roots.”
  6. Once the roots are long, I will arrange them, add a little soil, and cover with aluminum foil. Or something like that. I’m hoping this will give me better, more “tight” contact with the contours of the Buddha head and steps.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
How heavy is the Buddha head and paver blocks? Remember with the trees and soil it will be even heavier. My personal weight limit is around 25 pounds, especially if I have to get it to the car to transport for shows.

For younger folk 75 pounds is a practical upper limit. After that, you need to have a second person to assist with the moving around.

You should be able to bend, wire, move the roots of the 3 pots from Wigerts that you shouldn't have to start from little cuttings. You have a decades long project if you start from cuttings.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7 ILBS per each full size paver....this planting is going to breeze by twenty pounds just with that....

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Hello ,
Interesting and funny project however i have a doubt about the proportions and the final result .

I may have chosen smaller Buddha head and stones because the ficus will appear too small next to this elements .
Engulfment would have been easier to represent !

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nick Lenz is probably the best-known for his interesting compositions with roots over ruins, or even statuary.

I am really looking forward to your final composition!! The only thing I would recommend - make sure to permanently anchor your structure on the underlying slab using mortar or epoxy. Otherwise with big heavy elements it will be almost impossible to keep everything in place whenever you move your composition.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’m massively strong, so moving it is no problem. :) The head is pretty heavy, too. I thought about making hypertufa pavers with pumice, but decided that would be more work than I cared to invest.

I used aquarium sealant (100% silicone) to join the pavers together. We all know ficus roots love to destroy pavement and move things around, but I think the silicone will hold fast as much as possible, despite water and root pressure. I will also use silicone to fasten the head to the steps, too.

In terms of cuttings vs. using the established trees, I am actually planning to use both for this project.

I’m also going to place this thing on a polystyrene board during the initial growing stages so I can route the roots better in the areas where they exit the steps and the head. Once I have the placements I want, I will use a different pot.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This has some precedent. Same head looks to have been used before ;-) Nick Lenz is very good at this kind of thing. Thinks outside the box...instead of Buddha, he used a gargoyle as well as Penelope..

buddahead1.pngbuddhadhead2.pngLenzgargoyle.jpgruins.jpg

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I’m massively strong, so moving it is no problem.
Young person reply. Not unusual. I can remember having the same attitude. It is inevitable that you will get older. Moving heavy objects can also cause problems and the more often you do it the greater the risk and potential longer term problems. Deterioration and injuries now mean I must limit the size and weight of the bonsai I produce and maintain.
Bonsai is a long term project so it is worth looking forward to anticipate our own capabilities, etc.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Young person reply. Not unusual. I can remember having the same attitude. It is inevitable that you will get older. Moving heavy objects can also cause problems and the more often you do it the greater the risk and potential longer term problems. Deterioration and injuries now mean I must limit the size and weight of the bonsai I produce and maintain.
Bonsai is a long term project so it is worth looking forward to anticipate our own capabilities, etc.

I’m 46, but I suppose youth is relative. I was being lighthearted.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Removed three rooted cuttings from water to begin my first Kratky experiment today.

Consolidated them with some aluminum foil:
Placed them in a juice container that I had spray painted in a futile effort to block light:
Ready to grow? The tape is so I can check on the rooting:
This is the nutrient solution I’m using:

Top Bottom