Ficus leafs yellowing

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

I think my ficus have a little issue now and I would like to ask for your help.

Some leaves started yellowing as I think I was keeping the substrate too dry.
I didnt want to water as much because I had gnats issue.
Maybe its coming from not enought water or lack of fertilizing as I stopped fertilizing this tree when it was brought inside in October.
It was not fertilized heavily during the past growing season as I didnt have enough experience on using fertilizer.
Maybe its coming from the growing conditions.

I can see some new growth coming out here and there, but it does have pale leaves on top.
They are not falling but are not the usual color.

View attachment 414542

20220104_155423.jpg

20220105_003817.jpg

Thank you for your help
Ugo

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Chlorosis in the younger leaves usually hints towards an iron deficiency. Iron deficiencies are rare, so my guess is that there's something off about the soil pH.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Any changes in light lately? Move locations? Nice tree btw.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have many ficus inside from cuttings on up. Frequently these continue to grow when I bring them inside and on several of them the leaves will go yellow. This is more true for some varieties than others. I spray a foliar application of fertilizer with micro-nutrients and it helps quite a bit.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi guys!

@Wires_Guy_wires let say that Im a beginner.
I know that soil PH is important but I dont know better! I will read more on how to test it.

@Gr8tfuldad
Thanks for your good words!
There is still alot of work to do as you can see but I find the tree look better and better as I get more experience working on it! One day Im sure it will look like something!
To answer your question the tree is in the same location since last October, a growing tent with a 200w full spectrum light, 65 to 70% humidity, a small fan running 24/7 and the exhaust fan trigger at 25.5 C bringing temp. Down to 23deg C.
I did change some parameters here and there...
The lights are ON for 15hrs a days and I did change the height of the lamp bringing it a bit closer to the tree.
The lights is at about 4in from the top of the tree.

@penumbra
Despite not answering this post, I already started light application of diluted fertilizer and I will report if the color come back!

The thing I found curious is that the leafs do not get worse... they lose their color but stays on the tree. They dont dry or curl and feel solid when touched. First time I experience this.
The tree in general seems to thrive as its throwing tons of new roots everywhere.
Aerial roots everywhere on the trunk and branches, regular roots coming out the pot from the side and bottom of the pot.
The tree has been repotted last spring...

Thanks again for your advises, I will report in a couple weeks with feedback on the situation.
Ugo

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi guys!

@Wires_Guy_wires let say that Im a beginner.
I know that soil PH is important but I dont know better! I will read more on how to test it.

@Gr8tfuldad
Thanks for your good words!
There is still alot of work to do as you can see but I find the tree look better and better as I get more experience working on it! One day Im sure it will look like something!
To answer your question the tree is in the same location since last October, a growing tent with a 200w full spectrum light, 65 to 70% humidity, a small fan running 24/7 and the exhaust fan trigger at 25.5 C bringing temp. Down to 23deg C.
I did change some parameters here and there...
The lights are ON for 15hrs a days and I did change the height of the lamp bringing it a bit closer to the tree.
The lights is at about 4in from the top of the tree.

@penumbra
Despite not answering this post, I already started light application of diluted fertilizer and I will report if the color come back!

The thing I found curious is that the leafs do not get worse... they lose their color but stays on the tree. They dont dry or curl and feel solid when touched. First time I experience this.

Thanks again, I will report in a couple weeks with feedback on the situation.
Ugo

Thanks again for your advises
The process is already started so therefore it already is…
I know my ficus will yellow off some leaves when I move it indoors. This year it did not, however, it is getting more light than the old spot. I remember reading a ficus will throw a few leaves when light changes significantly. I wonder if lowering light was significant enough to trigger it?

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi everyone!

Just to give a little update.

I think Is it possible that @Gr8tfuldad and @Wires_Guy_wires pointed the solution.

I did a light application of fertilizer ratio 3:1:2 combined with more frequent watering and more light applications of fert.
The tree started to thrive a couple days after, putting new foliage and branches out.
Happy so far as the branches internodes lenght are small.

Obviously the current pale leaf didnt change but seems to be easily replaced.

I dont want to get to technical but is it possible that there was not enough nutriment in the soil due to my light fertilizer application during last growing season? I stopped fert application when the tree was moved inside in September.
The soil is non-organic mix of akadama and pumice.
Is it possible the soil was "depleted" in nutriments or Ammonia based N fert adjusted the soil PH?

Thanks
Ugo

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Sorry double post!

Top Bottom