Ficus Leaves Purple/Brown

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Can anyone help ID what might be going on with my ficus? Some leaves are turning brownish/purple.

Attachments

• PXL_20210308_213935339.jpg
    PXL_20210308_213935339.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 32

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
What does the rest of the tree look like? If the rest of tree is growing new, healthy leaves they are old leaves that the tree is giving up on because it’s focusing it’s energy towards the new ones. i remove brown and yellowing leaves often.

If all of the leaves look like you’ve got problems.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What does the rest of the tree look like? If the rest of tree is growing new, healthy leaves they are old leaves that the tree is giving up on because it’s focusing it’s energy towards the new ones. i remove brown and yellowing leaves often.

If all of the leaves look like you’ve got problems.
Sorry I'm newer so this all might be normal. It lost quite a few leaves over the winter, even with being inside most of it. I try to get it sun, but a lot of my windows are West facing so only get afternoon light and it's usually minimal. It's getting readjusted to being back outside and I do see shoots that appear to be growing new leaves, so all might be well.

Attachments

• PXL_20210304_212747301.jpg
    PXL_20210304_212747301.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 28

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Leaves that were grown inside do not do well in the sun. At least so I’ve heard, I can keep mine outside all the time. If you are ready to have it outside all the time I would cut it way back. It’s very leggy.

Attachments

• 1C461F4B-D9CD-4B71-9C70-564260960006.jpeg
    1C461F4B-D9CD-4B71-9C70-564260960006.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 22

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sorry I'm newer so this all might be normal. It lost quite a few leaves over the winter, even with being inside most of it. I try to get it sun, but a lot of my windows are West facing so only get afternoon light and it's usually minimal. It's getting readjusted to being back outside and I do see shoots that appear to be growing new leaves, so all might be well.
Did it get caught in any of your extreme winter weather?

Otherwise, it appears to be badly missing the sun. Even if there is going to be a frost at night, tropicals will still benefit greatly if you can put them outside on a sunny day in the winter... just don't forget to bring them in at night! I've been doing the "tropical two-step" since December now, trying to put my tropicals outside any day that it is above 40F. I think tomorrow I will put them back outside (overnight) because the daily lows are not forecast to drop below 40F for the next ten days... and maybe not until next fall!

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Leaves that were grown inside do not do well in the sun. At least so I’ve heard, I can keep mine outside all the time. If you are ready to have it outside all the time I would cut it way back. It’s very leggy.
Haha yes it is indeed needing a bad trimming. I'm actually wondering if it better to repot first or trim as he has been in that pot about 2 years. He was given as a gift 3 years ago when I first "started" bonsai. My dog tore up 2 of the 3 bonsais I had and this was the one that survived and I took a break from it for a bit.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Did it get caught in any of your extreme winter weather?

Otherwise, it appears to be badly missing the sun. Even if there is going to be a frost at night, tropicals will still benefit greatly if you can put them outside on a sunny day in the winter... just don't forget to bring them in at night! I've been doing the "tropical two-step" since December now, trying to put my tropicals outside any day that it is above 40F. I think tomorrow I will put them back outside (overnight) because the daily lows are not forecast to drop below 40F for the next ten days... and maybe not until next fall!
I tried to be active and not have them out at all during the past few weeks especially with the snow and all. I have been trying to do the same with having him outside during the day and bringing him in on cooler nights. I think now should be good to stay out as well. I'm hoping he will get a new burst here soon and new growth. Definitely in need of a trim.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine only ever been so naked after last winter indoors with no water. Like shoulda died no water.

Sorce

Top Bottom