[Ficus M.'s] Just got (3) 5-6' specimen, and (2) belly-height ones, cleaned-up & desperately needing direction!! (pics included!)

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wanna tag @sorce just to help bring out-of-box-ness to this right from the start ;D

So I fell for Ficus M's like a year ago, when my ~1yr old mallsai (was a gift) was nearly finished closing a chop-wound (and is now growing well but beyond my talent for controlling/styling :p )

So, I would root my cuttings when I pruned....being that I'm in FL, pruning ficus M's in spring/summer, they almost-all survive. In '19, some were given to a friend, who left them untended. I just retook possession of several:
20210116_174544.jpg

I guess maybe I'd be interested in taking 1 to wire-hard from the start, and try "from the ground-up" ficus-M development...but, for the remainder, I really want to merge/fuse/put them together, probably not clump/forest style (although fused banyan is wayyyy up my alley!)

The root masses I'm working with are utter garbage since they grew as freely as the Ficus M's did, the tallest one was nearly 6' from the ground...they displayed far more 'tap-rooting' and less under-trunk-rooting than I'd expected/hoped.
sharp bend of a primary root on one of the larger pieces:
20210116_174621_HDR.jpg

roots on the two "halves" of the 3-tree-clump that I split-up too roughly (didn't realize there were joined roots lol!)
1:
20210116_174949_HDR.jpg
20210116_175044.jpg
other portion of the "Larger Ones'" clump:
20210116_175110.jpg

Now they're all rinsed, bagged w/ some moss hanging-around for good measure, wrapped that with shadecloth because it'll be a cold one tonight... heh can't resist showing the lil guy these all came from:
20210116_175304.jpg

ANYWAYS.....because I propagated sooo many, I have far too many root-over-rock, fused-groupings, fused-groupings over rocks, etc etc..... I wanna do something gnarly here....wanna get out the raffia, the 10g (copper) and guy wiring and masks and make something insane....what options / fun can anyone suggest with these? Part of me thought to "twist/tangle" the larger ones, aiming for fusion/banyan-clumping (by taking advantage of how easily you can do the 'twisted trunk' topiary style with these types of ficus, only of course wouldn't be done as some smooth cylindrical twirl :p ), have to imagine fusion is the best approach, maybe it'd make more sense to mangle them into really good fusion-positions now, leave their lengths & roots intact, and force growth in 2021 strictly to fuse the trunkings? 3 large ones form the 'center mass' with the couple smaller ones 'forced in' where appropriate, aesthetically. I should be clear I know it'll take years to fuse & finish properly, though I am in FL and that pic of that mother ficus.M was about that far at ~1yr of receipt as a 1/2" thick, just-chopped stick that had 4 or 5 few-mm-thin branches, was something that'd be prepped for mallsai (neighbor works at florist, their wholesaler had it for $2 and since she saw the word 'bonsai' she bought it for me, was blown away at how great a plant it is & at how it proved the most-resilient specie I own, the only one I wouldn't hesitate to do hard-work on during the middle of winter or middle of summer or multiple times in a year, have never seen one 'slow down' (ficus B's, on the other hand... although I've been having a good time with "ficus b 'too little'" cultivar lately, the leaves are a small fraction of a Micro's and internode length even smaller fraction, backbudding is closer to benji's than micro's but still do backbud well enough for use am still confused why it's not a bonsai favorite, only flaw is that subtler green seen on Benji's :/ Still love my benji's :p

Attachments

• 20210116_175604.jpg
    20210116_175604.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 14

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I should add that I've never done 'over statue' and love the concept ACTUALLY the smaller clump was literally removed from a large Oak tree I felled (these were at a client-friend's) like 2yr ago and, instead of removing the bottom ~4' and stumping it, we left it / dogged a hole for sphagnum and some ficus micro cuttings, with the goal of them just engulfing the stump....but she never watered so most of the summer it was bone-dry rootmass and little growth, now lot is being sold...anyway I love using the roots on these to do things and I love carving (wood carving is new to me, though I've got some time under my belt and most of the proper grinding stuff, and stone-grinding - which i'd prefer to plant upon anyways - is very comfortable for me, have everything for - and do - making cement pots/slabs, for making boulder-containers from regular boulders (I'm talking scoria & featherstone not granite, though I could never stop if I had the ability to do that :p ) so yeah the idea of statues, or large faux-rock, "underpinnings" for root/tree-over-thing(s) approaches, I'm all for hearing (makes me think I should go watch the youtubes of vietnamese & thailand bonsai shows as, iirc, this type of stuff would be very at-home in such settings!)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't help but think grow and chop and grow down there. Except, you gotta start throwing cuttings out!

Sorce

Reactions: SU2

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
1 last thing -- I don't mind risk, I comfortable/hoping for more extreme interventions, am OK with cracking the branch-forms as they currently are (while wrapped) and letting them heal, ficus heal and grow unlike anything in FL that I've worked with they beat bc's bougies etc it's insane.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I can't help but think grow and chop and grow down there. Except, you gotta start throwing cuttings out!

Sorce
as...as individual trees? SO boring!!! I can't throw them out that's insane they're trees! I failed to setup a free tree giveaway a few days ago, still beating myself up, FL's arbor day is the 3rd friday of every jan (and I'd had the 16th in-mind, since that was the date of a prior year - I mistook it to mean it was a fixed-date thing, not a "3rd friday of Jan" thing :p ) and ficus M's were my 2nd most abundant (followed by live oak...since I can't get large yamadori, I've got scores of seedlings in all kinds of "grouped for fusing" setups, "grouped-over-rock" for faux-effect of a wider base than actually exists etc etc)

Can't throw out trees, not if it's good material (hell those ficus benji 'too little's' have the most ficus potential I've seen, I've been amassing a small army of them am sure my club or others will be happy when I release that batch actually I already have a 'mini batch' ready..) Love trees :)

I've gotta try mangling them, maybe I'll take one or two to try more traditional but feel like the species doesn't look as good that way, that it almost asks for crazy clumping, wild banyan type styles (I should mention I can induce aerials wherever I want here, just have to tape sphagnum in place and they occur - if the area isn't naturally dropping them already, their removal is just as much a headache as thrip removal sometimes (or was...after I realized that simply blasting the hell out of the canopies all but eliminates thrips, kinda changed things, still pesticide free :) )

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What is a ficus M?
Yup a micro :) One of the best varieties of ficus for bonsai, so far as I'm aware (IME, this cultivar and the "Benjamina- Too Little" cultivar are the best suited, the latter having the tiniest foliage & densest ramification that I think it's my favorite, just has that same bark & leaf-color as regular benji's which always look dull....at least when Micro's are nearby ;D )

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
wow with all the pieces I've been prop'ing from my lil single specimen's prunings, at my place and at clients' & friends', probably exceeds a good 50 or 100' at this point with how many are >5' themselves (yup, >5' in under a full year here in FL, from regular small cuttings :) )

Top Bottom