Ficus microcarpa advice.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Googling 'ficus microcarpa melon seed' has me confused as the pictures never match the one I have. I bought it back in April from Wigerts, and put it outside with in May where it gets sun from sunrise till about 4pm. Based on the weather this year I thought it would show more growth. than it has. I water when needed but never let it dry out. What am I doing wrong?

Couple of questions.

1. Should I repot this into a Bonsai substrate?
2. What time of year is this best repotted? I assume spring.

PXL_20220806_231355619 (1).jpg

Better shot of the soil.

PXL_20220806_231422816.jpg

Any advice is appreciated.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, better soil would be a good idea. For Ficus you can change the soil pretty much any time if you're doing minimal root work. Better to get that done before it faces a long, Michigan winter inside. Also, if you're letting grow out, fertilize the heck out of it. Any standard fertilizer will do - every couple of weeks, mixed to package directions.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a bunch of weak branches that are all competing for dominance. I would select the branches I wanted to keep and make cutting from the rest.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, better soil would be a good idea. For Ficus you can change the soil pretty much any time if you're doing minimal root work. Better to get that done before it faces a long, Michigan winter inside. Also, if you're letting grow out, fertilize the heck out of it. Any standard fertilizer will do - every couple of weeks, mixed to package directions.
Thanks. I was trying to let to grow out, but, I've only see about a 1/4 of an inch growth so far, and I have used fertilizer, but only once a month, guess I can move that up to every two weeks.

Looks like a bunch of weak branches that are all competing for dominance. I would select the branches I wanted to keep and make cutting from the rest.
If I repot it can I cut branches or is that too much stress? I'll send you a cutting if you want, I have plenty of things to care for right now.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I repot it can I cut branches or is that too much stress? I'll send you a cutting if you want, I have plenty of things to care for right now.
Only ficus I've had was a benjamina but I assume a ficus is a ficus. If they are actively growing they seem to take almost whatever you throw at them. I generally try to not coddle plants and that benji I've had for about a decade as a house plant is no exception. It was getting too big so I chopped it up last year into about 20 pieces and gave a ficus to anyone that stopped by the house.

Thanks for the offer. I'd be down with some different ficus cuttings but I'll be out of town until early September. I have my oldest son trained up on watering my trees while I'm gone but don't think he's up to taking care of cuttings. Timing might not line up this time. If you still have some then or maybe at a later date I'd be interested.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
As @Ply said, summer is the best time to repot and trim ficus. I asked Wigert's one time what soil they used in their pre-bonsai and was told soil conditioner, so I'm a but surprised to see all of the bark in yours. But I haven't bought any from them recently. That will change as I will probably be placing an order tonight.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ficus are best repotted in summer when they are actively growing.
Yeh I did one in early summer, seems to be thriving at the minute.
As @Ply said, summer is the best time to repot and trim ficus. I asked Wigert's one time what soil they used in their pre-bonsai and was told soil conditioner, so I'm a but surprised to see all of the bark in yours. But I haven't bought any from them recently. That will change as I will probably be placing an order tonight.
I think you will get much better growth in a bonsai substrate. I would repot it now if it were mine.
The repot is complete. The old soil was 50% pine bark, & 50% potting mix soil in a big clump all pressed/compressed together. Took forever to get the pine bark free from the roots. I took some pics of the root ball, root structure, amount of roots I clipped (some roots torn away. not pictured), and the finished tree. Should I keep it in the shade for a week or two, or put it right back in it's sunny spot? Thanks for all the advice.

Attachments

• ficus_repot.JPG
    ficus_repot.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20220814_183533911.jpg
    PXL_20220814_183533911.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20220814_184102208.jpg
    PXL_20220814_184102208.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20220814_184153107.jpg
    PXL_20220814_184153107.jpg