Ficus microcarpa cuttings

Zelrod

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
They do look happy! Nice work with the cuttings.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wonder if you could try another take on the fusion method, grafting the branches of the cuttings planted together to each other's trunks for an "easy" shortcut to banyan style? The trunks can simulate columnar roots.

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I wonder if you could try another take on the fusion method, grafting the branches of the cuttings planted together to each other's trunks for an "easy" shortcut to banyan style? The trunks can simulate columnar roots.
When I first got the cuttings to take I thought about leaving them all together and making a forest out of it. I never thought about fusing the branches and going for that kind of look. Interesting thought for sure. But in just the few years I've been in the hobby I've felt myself getting much older, especially my back. So I've been trying to stick with smaller trees. I do have fun with these smaller ones.
IMG_0519.jpg

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think i did what you are talking about and it does seem to make a pretty good clump. Mine are still just rooted cuttings but this summer they should start putting on weight.
20230316_151249.jpg20230316_151319.jpg20230316_151154.jpg

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Update on the twins. I keep all of my trees in full sun. This April-May-June we had almost no rain or even clouds. I noticed some of the smaller microcarpas started to look a little sickly and I moved them into shade for a month or so, most of the recovered right away, like the one with the split at the top.
Shotcut_00_04_28_529.jpg

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The one with the split at the bottom didn't fare as well. I had to keep this one in the shade nearly all summer. I was even ready to throw it away but it finally started getting some buds on the trunk. I repotted it yesterday and cut back all the branches that died off. I repotted it because it lost so much soil after the hurricane and it was so low in the pot. It seems to be much better now.
Shotcut_00_04_54_388.jpgShotcut_00_13_10_928.jpg

Top Bottom