Ficus microcarpa maintenance tips

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score
So I've recently acquired this ficus microcarpa. I really like it's current form but I want to thicken the trunk a bit more as well as develop the aerial roots more(maybe make them a bit more thick as well).I'm looking for detailed pinching, pruning, maintenance tips for this one. All advices are welcome. Also looking for pot suggestions (round/square/rectangle, shallow/deep?) Keeping in mind I wanna grow the trunk a bit more.IMG20230318085200_00.jpgIMG_20230318_150143.jpgIMG20230318085228_00.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Unfortunately maintaining the current shape and size and detailed pinching and pruning do not go with increasing trunk thickness, at least not in the short term.
Trunk thickness is a factor of either time - lots of it, OR increased top growth. On the plus size some fig species thicken trunks even when the tree is regularly trimmed. Not sure if F. microcarpa is one of those that thickens despite trimming but the F. rubiginosa we grow down here certainly is.
Another hack that some ficus growers use to increase trunk thickness a bit quicker is to run aerial roots down the trunk. As they thicken they will fuse onto the trunk and make it fatter.

Trimming and pruning: whenever the shoots get to around 6 leaves cut back to 1 or 2. Rinse and repeat as often as the tree grows which can be 4-6 times each year. Figs don't grow much in cooler months and also don't recover as fast so generally let them be in winter.

Figs love fertilizer so fertilize often. They are not fussy and will love any fertilizer you can give them. Liquid fert every 2-3 weeks while they are growing or solid fert every 4-6 weeks.

Repot in warmer weather.

Most ficus, including F. microcarpa, DO NOT like cold. Background in the photos looks like a warmer part of the world so you may be able to keep yours outdoors but if your area experiences frosts you'll need to move the tree indoors through cold weather.

Obviously what you do and when will depend on the local climate. You have not included a location in your profile which makes it real hard to be specific about when to do what for your area. You will note that most members here have added a city or region to their profile so others can understand the local climate a bit better.

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score
Unfortunately maintaining the current shape and size and detailed pinching and pruning do not go with increasing trunk thickness, at least not in the short term.
Trunk thickness is a factor of either time - lots of it, OR increased top growth. On the plus size some fig species thicken trunks even when the tree is regularly trimmed. Not sure if F. microcarpa is one of those that thickens despite trimming but the F. rubiginosa we grow down here certainly is.
Another hack that some ficus growers use to increase trunk thickness a bit quicker is to run aerial roots down the trunk. As they thicken they will fuse onto the trunk and make it fatter.

Trimming and pruning: whenever the shoots get to around 6 leaves cut back to 1 or 2. Rinse and repeat as often as the tree grows which can be 4-6 times each year. Figs don't grow much in cooler months and also don't recover as fast so generally let them be in winter.

Figs love fertilizer so fertilize often. They are not fussy and will love any fertilizer you can give them. Liquid fert every 2-3 weeks while they are growing or solid fert every 4-6 weeks.

Repot in warmer weather.

Most ficus, including F. microcarpa, DO NOT like cold. Background in the photos looks like a warmer part of the world so you may be able to keep yours outdoors but if your area experiences frosts you'll need to move the tree indoors through cold weather.

Obviously what you do and when will depend on the local climate. You have not included a location in your profile which makes it real hard to be specific about when to do what for your area. You will note that most members here have added a city or region to their profile so others can understand the local climate a bit better.

Thanks for such a detailed comment.
I like pretty in a tropical climate so it should be comfortable. Also what compounds do you suggest to be present in the liquid fertilizer.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Ah! Bangladesh. Ficus should absolutely love your climate all year round and certainly no need to worry about frost!

All plants need a range of nutrients. Most commercial fertilizers now have all the nutrients needed so there's no need to worry about which sort to use. I just had a quick look at a website. There are lots of options but some are not what we call 'complete' or 'balanced' fertilizers which have all the nutrients plants need. I can't read what most of the packets say so hard for me to pick a product for you. Look for something that has N, P, K ,S and micronutrients but no need to worry much about the numbers of each nutrient at this stage because ficus just do not care.
You may need to post some NPK analysis of some fertilizers that are available so we can advise what's good or not so good.
The sites I looked at all seem to have more organic fertilizers than liquid so maybe you'll need to consider an organic fertilizer instead. Both are still good. It just takes a little longer for the organic fert to start releasing nutrients that your plant can take.

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score
T
Ah! Bangladesh. Ficus should absolutely love your climate all year round and certainly no need to worry about frost!

All plants need a range of nutrients. Most commercial fertilizers now have all the nutrients needed so there's no need to worry about which sort to use. I just had a quick look at a website. There are lots of options but some are not what we call 'complete' or 'balanced' fertilizers which have all the nutrients plants need. I can't read what most of the packets say so hard for me to pick a product for you. Look for something that has N, P, K ,S and micronutrients but no need to worry much about the numbers of each nutrient at this stage because ficus just do not care.
You may need to post some NPK analysis of some fertilizers that are available so we can advise what's good or not so good.
The sites I looked at all seem to have more organic fertilizers than liquid so maybe you'll need to consider an organic fertilizer instead. Both are still good. It just takes a little longer for the organic fert to start releasing nutrients that your plant can take.

Thanks man that was a huge help. You didn't have to go through all that trouble though.

Reaction score
In my experience, if you live in a tropical or subtropical climate, the best way to get a thicker trunk is to grow the tree in the ground for a few years.

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score
In my experience, if you live in a tropical or subtropical climate, the best way to get a thicker trunk is to grow the tree in the ground for a few years.
I literally live at the center of the city so don't have any convenient/close enough plot to actually grow it in the ground.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The round leaves of your tree look like the cultivar 'Green Island'. Care is the same as for other F. microcarpa.

If you want the trunk to get thicker, put it in a larger pot and let it grow unrestricted until the trunk is a big as you want. The great thing about this species is that after letting it grow you can cut back drastically to the design you want.

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score
Th
The round leaves of your tree look like the cultivar 'Green Island'. Care is the same as for other F. microcarpa.

If you want the trunk to get thicker, put it in a larger pot and let it grow unrestricted until the trunk is a big as you want. The great thing about this species is that after letting it grow you can cut back drastically to the design you want.
Thanks for the info

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score

Repot in warmer weather.

Hey man. Can you please give me advice on what should be done to these leggy branches.
I wanna make them a bit smaller and closer to the whole constitution. But should I cut back?
IMG_20230319_212056.jpg

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hey man. Can you please give me advice on what should be done to these leggy branches.
I wanna make them a bit smaller and closer to the whole constitution. But should I cut back?
View attachment 477428

Yes, cut it back and it will sprout new branches.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Definitely cut any long branches. Most ficus sp are great at growing new buds on bare wood.
Budding will be even better if you also prune most of the branches above at the same time as ficus are strongly apical dominant meaning they grow most from the higher parts of the tree. If you cut lower branches and leave strong branches above the tree will often put all the energy into the higher branches. Trimming all upper shoots removes the growth hormones (auxins) and allows all branches equal growth.

rifujiin

Seedling
Reaction score
Definitely cut any long branches. Most ficus sp are great at growing new buds on bare wood.
Budding will be even better if you also prune most of the branches above at the same time as ficus are strongly apical dominant meaning they grow most from the higher parts of the tree. If you cut lower branches and leave strong branches above the tree will often put all the energy into the higher branches. Trimming all upper shoots removes the growth hormones (auxins) and allows all branches equal growth.
Thanks once again, for the descriptive advice.

Top Bottom