Ficus microcarpa new tree

raphao

Seed
Reaction score
Hello,
I have received as a gift quite big Ficus microcarpa around 8-9 months ago. In the beginning it has lost most of the leaves (probably due to transport and setting in new place). It is alive and growing but not quite even. The bottom part is growing more than the top part of tree. I like the top part as it has now smaller leaves than previously. How can I stimulate more growth on this tree and especially top part? Should I cut already some branches or leave it for now and let it grow?

It is standing near south window and terrace.

Attachments

• IMG_20200927_225126.jpg
    IMG_20200927_225126.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20200927_225152.jpg
    IMG_20200927_225152.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20200927_225256.jpg
    IMG_20200927_225256.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 47

Maw

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
do you take it out of the outer pot when giving water?

raphao

Seed
Reaction score
Most of the times, not really as the soil is not wet for long time. It is drying quite fast.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

A slow top is good!

But I'd chop it to the vigorous part.

Sorce

Maw

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just make sure you take it out of the white pot when you water. And water the plant thorough. Soaking al the roots. Until the water runs out the draining holes

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From its appearance, this tree is trying to tell you something is wrong. The fact that it is growing with decent vigor from the base and shows only small leaves and little vigor in the top, means something is not going well. Not sure where you are or what season it is where you are, but get it outside post haste if it isn't freezing outside. You may also have soil issues that need to be addressed.

raphao

Seed
Reaction score
Unfortunately I live in Eastern Europe , so it is getting to cold to set in up outside. Soil looks quite ok on the first glance but I will be monitoring this. For now should I just let the free grow freely?

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unfortunately I live in Eastern Europe , so it is getting to cold to set in up outside. Soil looks quite ok on the first glance but I will be monitoring this. For now should I just let the free grow freely?
Not much choice for now. Don't prune it or do anything to the roots. Give it as much light as you can, meaning get a grow light if possible. Microcarpa don't like the reduced light of a normal indoor environment, and that may be a big part of what's going on.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
To keep it the same general form cut off the tips off all the twigs/branches. If the tree is always going to be an inside house plant you can live with the pot that doesn't have a drain hole, but don't water it as heavily as you would a plant in a pot that drains free. Give it about 25% of the whole pot volume of water about once a week, or so. If you're going to summer it outdoors, come back for instructions next spring.

Having smaller leaves after a full defoliation is not uncommon and is an intentional process specifically to obtain smaller leaves which is desirable in bonsai. Feed it once, now, with any commercial liquid and begin feeding once a month or so next April through August.

Top Bottom