Ficus microcarpa Nitida

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
The best thing to do on 9/11 is to take the day off and do some bonsai. So that's what I did yesterday. I pulled out some ficus and cut them back. This was a warm summer so they did really well. A few got weaker, but they will be ok after a repot. Redwood Ryan inspired me to contribute to this Tropical forum too. I haven't been posting trees here in awhile. So I am going to post my ficus projects here and keep this thread going as I work on them over the years. I will start with some of my Ficus microcarpa Nitida. The names on these ficus are really confusing. Please correct me if I am wrong. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Ficus nitida #1:
This tree is about 8-9 in. tall. I started it about 6 years ago. I chopped it to the first branch and wait until it sprouted new shoots, which I then wired into a flat-top, broom style look. It died back a little last year due to lack of water when I put it into this flat tray, but it recovered well this summer.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Ficus nitida #2:
This one was a flea market find for $20 about 5 years ago. It is at 13 in tall.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Ficus nitida #3:
I started this one about 10 years ago. I chopped it back several times because I kept changing my mind about the front of it. It is about 15 in. tall. The base is massive , about 12 in wide at the soil level. It is going to be a real squat looking bonsai in about 5 years.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Ficus nitida #4:
This one is going to be a shohin. It is at about 10 in tall now, but I will wire it down to about 8 in. I started this one about 5 years ago. Basically I just chopped it down and wait for it to sprout and then aim for a broom style-flat top look.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Ficus nitida #5:
Just another ficus. Kinda generic. Started 5-6 years ago. 15 in tall.

Attachments

• Ficus nitida #5.jpg
    Ficus nitida #5.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Ficus nitida #6:
Another sumo ficus. About 14-15 in tall and 10 in base. Really nice taper. Started 6 years ago.

Attachments

• Ficus nitida #6.jpg
    Ficus nitida #6.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Ficus nitida #7:

This was started about 6-7 years ago. It was a typical cheap Home Depot ginseng ficus. Probably 9-10 dollars. I split up a thick ginseng root and made 2 trees out of it. Then I put the root side way and made use of the wide cross section of the root. It is about 13 in. tall. This tree is almost ready for a proper bonsai pot. The foliage is nicely reduced.

Attachments

• Ficus nitida #7.jpg
    Ficus nitida #7.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Ficus nitida #8:
This was a root split from the same Home Depot ginseng ficus as #7. Just lay the root side way and let it grow for a year or two. It had been chopped back 3 times. Each time, it got shorter. It is about 7 in tall now. When it's done, it will be about 6in tall. The taper and trunk curve are pretty nice on this tree.

Attachments

• Ficus nitida #8.jpg
    Ficus nitida #8.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Ficus nitida #9:
A generic ficus. Flea market find 3-4 years ago. Chopped back and started over. About 6 in tall. Probably another 3-4 years to go.

Attachments

• Ficus nitida #9.jpg
    Ficus nitida #9.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Ficus nitida #10:
Another generic ficus. 14-15 in tall. Started 4 years ago.

Attachments

• Ficus nitida #10.jpg
    Ficus nitida #10.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Atilla, no, I don't get much aerial roots naturally, a few in the summer maybe. Too dry in my area. But I don't want them yet. It is not good to get them too soon, because they will thicken up too fast and be out of scale with the trunk. You can see that on some of the trees here already. I have had to remove some aerial roots in order to stop them and the branches they feed from getting too thick. I only want aerial roots after the design is complete and the tree is in a proper bonsai pot. It is very easy to get aerial roots when I need them. I will show some other more finished ficus later so people can see what I mean here.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't see any of the pictures. It says attached thumbnail.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Remember that the site is going through some changes right now, so pictures may still be on the old server.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is there a chance you can repost the images, Si Nguyen? I'm very interested in seeing your trees.

Top Bottom