Ficus microcarpa

Reaction score
Bought this Ficus January 2017. It was one of those massively produced and costed 9€.

When I got home I repotted it. I got rid of all of its old soil and planted it in a larger pot with some free draining mix. While doing so I also screwed it onto a rock tile to promote some basal flare. I also took some cuttings that rooted in water (quite easy - Gave most away and kept one).

It was still cold so I left it by a window inside until it was warm enough outside. I have watered and fertilised a lot and it has since been always outside. My idea was to let it grow free to fatten up, so no trimming done. And it did, especially at the soil level (although most is still uncovered by the soil) which I think is great. It also developed inverse taper, but I don't mind. My idea is to chop it down. It's already growing strong but night temperatures are still bit chill. So my idea is to chop the trunk down in the next 2-3 weeks and maybe do a repot latter this year (August?). No idea about the design yet... Will see what it gives me.

IMG_0030.jpgIMG_0031.jpg

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yellow for a possible trunk line. Blue for a layer or cutting.20180422_223548.jpg

Reaction score
I thought about that too but I won't bother. The 1 yr old cutting I did is nearly as thick. These guys grow really fast.

I will try to root it once cut, but not a big problem if it fails. I want to start developing the base asap to take advantage of this growing season.

My only doubt is to whether make the cut and repot (while trimming the roots) all at the same time or separately. I think I will do the cut first in order to take advantage of the growth that may come afterwards if I leave the roots untouched. And then, later this year I will work the roots

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The top is worth working with, so I'd chop at the red line to capitalize on the thicker base from that branch and then your new tree is somewhere in the red.

Use the branch on the right (above the chop) as a sacrifice branch to help thicken the base.
20180423_084417.jpg
20180423_084637.jpg

*Quick phone edits*

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its a ficus.. It'll root.

I would recommend first styling the top in place and let it recover just so that it'll be more stable once you take the cutting. You can take a ton of cuttings for practice, in the meantime.

A technique I've found that is handy is to cut the top off extra low and whittle of the bark with a knife and place your future nebari very carefully for maximum taper and at your chosen angle. This leaves a long portion of wood with no bark beneath your nebari that can be used to anchor the new tree when it comes time to pot. I root mine in a jar or vase with a bunch of spaghnum moss to stabilize and help with the rooting.

Leave just enough of a stub in the pot so that on the off chance it sprouts you'll have a sumo to play with, or be fancy and graft some of your practice cutting back on to the lower trunk.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now it's just a matter of waiting...[/QUOTE]
Damn, will that take root? Should you maybe defoliate it some or cut 2/3 off of each leaf?
<—legit curiosity questions

Reaction score
Now it's just a matter of waiting...
Damn, will that take root? Should you maybe defoliate it some or cut 2/3 off of each leaf?
<—legit curiosity questions[/QUOTE]

My experience is that ficus are pretty easy to root. I've already done many cuttings to give away that I just put in scoria and all of them have rooted. Now this one is a bit larger so I'm not sure... But I believe, and hope, there's a possibility.

And yes, I forgot to mention but I did remove most of the leaves leaving only the apical ones...

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hoping it takes too..kinda wish there was a cutting threshold thread to concepualize a curve of cutting survival pushing to thresholds...accentuating the tails of the bell.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah... and it's producing figs like mad. So it either thinks life is good or it's about dying... ;)

Are these edible or poisnous?

I think the fact that these are more likely to reproduce via cuttings or layers naturally....that fruit just means crazy health.

Of course......I been doubting this whole..."last chance to live" fruiting thing across the board anyway.

Nice health!

But a planned repot after a chop is SUSPECT!

Damn! I just seen you chopped the whole thing!

Eeeee!

Sorce

Reaction score
I think the fact that these are more likely to reproduce via cuttings or layers naturally....that fruit just means crazy health.

Of course......I been doubting this whole..."last chance to live" fruiting thing across the board anyway.

Nice health!

But a planned repot after a chop is SUSPECT!

Damn! I just seen you chopped the whole thing!

Eeeee!

Sorce
Planning a repot later this year if all goes well. The tree will tell
At the moment I want to use all the energy that is available to promote growth after the chop

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Updating:

The chopped trunk is starting to bud all over and pushing some growth...
View attachment 197255

What used to be the top of the tree also seems to have rooted as I see new buds everywhere.
View attachment 197256
View attachment 197257

I'm happy ;)
Any tips on getting the cutting to root? I know out of direct sun/keep it humid (bag or plastic lid) but don't drown it. Looks like your media is inorganic for the cutting?

Reaction score
Any tips on getting the cutting to root? I know out of direct sun/keep it humid (bag or plastic lid) but don't drown it. Looks like your media is inorganic for the cutting?
this is what I did. Plastic bag to cover it for about a month. Once in while (at night or overcast days) open a bit so it can "breathe". Shady position. I used scoria (lava rock) only. Water abundantly every day... That's about it... no magic tricks ;)

Top Bottom