Ficus or Juniper? Which is best for a beginner?

Bluasul

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
No, I don't intend to keep either of them inside, they will be outside. And of course, I won't be getting a "mallsai", whichever I choose I'm getting at a bonsai nursery. So which do you recomend? Thanks!

Reaction score
I would say that you head over to Pedro Morales's place. And discuss this with them. He and his son are very nice and very helpful, and I know can set you on the right path! Also, I know there are some very nice bonsai clubs in Puerto Rico, that would be worth attending. Not only does one learn, but often you can get ahold of material to work on cheaper.

Mr GeaRbOx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm a beginner myself so of course my expertise is limited, but I can try to provide some perspective from just a little further along than you. From what I see in your post I'm guessing you have done at least a little amount of reading so keeping either alive will most likely not be an issue. I would approach it a purely artistic way. Look at many trees and decide which style or look of bonsai you prefer (you do have to live with it after all :) Either of these choices will be on the lower side of skill requirement. That being said, I am under the impression the ficus will be more forgiving (junipers being forgiving themselves just a little less than the ficus, variety specific of course.) I also note you are in PR which is hardiness zone 13. Are juniper regularly (or can be?) kept as landscaping there? The reason I ask is that junipers require a dormant period and I don't think it gets cold enough there to push the tree into dormancy. If they are, then disregard. One other point in the plus column for the ficus is that it is tropical and will thrive in your climate. I would also suggest looking into a schefflera (AKA Hawaiian umbrella tree) they are also good trees for beginners and will do great in your area. Hope this helps
~GeaR

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, you can get junipers to grow in the Tropics, especially near the sea or in humid zones.
The ficus grows easily, but design wise takes more out of you, if you don't want a healthy bush.
Try a Gmelina, or Malpighia e. or a Tamarind [seed] or a Chlorophora t.
As was mentioned afore, Pedro Morales or local Bonsai club.
Good Day
Anthony

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yup,

There are a lot of other good tropicals worth investigating.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Brazilian rain tree would be perfect for your climate as well.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I even think juniper is hard, and ficus is practicly immortal, so my choice is easy.

Bluasul

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll do my best to contact Pedro Morales and other bonsai people around here but I also find it helpful to hear opinions from people here on the forum. I'll take a look at other tropicals too, but still, I feel safer going with a Ficus or Juniper because of the amount of information available on the internet. Thanks again!

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Schefflera is indestructible. Check it Fuku Bonsai on the internet.
Joedes

Top Bottom