Ficus people, need some input on an idea.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen some of the statue planting threads and it was something I've toyed with in my head in the past. So, I'm trying to be responsible and not jump the gun and end up in a situation where I've got a mess that can't be undone, lol.

So my idea is to take this ficus (1st image) which was a fusion of two cuttings I bound together when rooting and plant them as a root over statue (2nd image).

The statue is resin and not solid. Which is a plus, as it means it won't annihilate my back when I have to move it. I'm not terribly concerned if the statue weathers as I think it'll add to the aesthetic. My main concern is the basin the statue is holding will be a tight fit for the root base (3rd image).

In theory the tree would sit in the basin just like a pot. I could attempt to drill a drainage hole but I'm thinking about approaching it like a root over rock I've done where the water runs out and runs down and into a shallow pot where the actual root tips would be. In concept the roots would spill out and drape down the statues lap and down into the true container and soil.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how to handle the exposed 'spilling' roots. Maybe wrapping in plastic? Or possibly rubber tubing? I've had decent results with exposed roots by using larger particle coarse material inside plastic containers with the bottom cut out to make tapered 'tubes' but that's not really possible in this one. I figure I'll give the tree a bit longer to make sure I have plenty of long roots to work with. Just not 100% on how to execute. Any input from anyone else and their experiences are greatly appreciated. Ty.

Attachments

• 20221109_184852.jpg
    20221109_184852.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 20221109_183432.jpg
    20221109_183432.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20221109_183210.jpg
    20221109_183210.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 57

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what's the position of the tree gonna be? are you gonna plant it in the bowl part of just pop it on the head? give us a general idea of what you're planning

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what's the position of the tree gonna be? are you gonna plant it in the bowl part of just pop it on the head? give us a general idea of what you're planning
Oh yeah, sorry about that, heh. Yeah in the bowl. Probably oriented close to the position of the image. The tallest trunk going to the left so the face is still visible and the secondary shorter trunk moving to the right and upwards but not necessarily higher than the shoulder. There would definitely be some shaping done to the tree to clean up the design. Basically, Buddha holding a tree in a pot. Also, that's not tacky is it? I mean if it is, now's the time to break it to me, lol.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i kind of did a similar thing a while back here https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/beer-can-bonsai.29803/
but this was a ginseng type ficus and the roots expanded so much that the can burst, i wasn't a big fan of the fat roots so i gave the tree away after i removed the can

thing is...

you're still gonna need a drainage hole in the bowl part, over time the roots will escape out the bottom to follow the draining water, and if you keep the soil moist at all times, roots and aerials will spill out the top too. but you do need draining else your substrate becomes a swampy disgusting mess

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i kind of did a similar thing a while back here https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/beer-can-bonsai.29803/
but this was a ginseng type ficus and the roots expanded so much that the can burst, i wasn't a big fan of the fat roots so i gave the tree away after i removed the can

thing is...

you're still gonna need a drainage hole in the bowl part, over time the roots will escape out the bottom to follow the draining water, and if you keep the soil moist at all times, roots and aerials will spill out the top too. but you do need draining else your substrate becomes a swampy disgusting mess
That's what I was worried about. With the rock planting the roots have plenty of room to go wherever they want. Makes sense. Well better to have the info ahead of time, lol. It's a hollow statue but I could run a bit of tubing and cut it flush so it doesn't collect inside the statue. I appreciate the input. I get antsy when it's fall and the days get shorter, lol. It's usually when the best and worst ideas come to life.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Depends on how big the bowl is and how big the tree is. I have a juniper rock planting that sits in a shallow suiban (no holes pot) The roots of the 3 junipers run down the rock and into gravel in the suiban and they are thriving despite no drain holes for around 8 years now. The shallow tray dries out most days so I guess that's why no problems with root rot yet. The shallow water reservoir probably gives these trees some water through the day because otherwise they each only have around a teaspoon of muck each which dries out in half an hour most days.

I would be prepared to give this bowl planting a go. If you can get some roots over to the statue body I'd try wrapping the body in plastic wrap or alfoil. Provided the root tips stay damp they will grow. The wrap will direct growth down along the contours of the statue and into the soil below.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends on how big the bowl is and how big the tree is. I have a juniper rock planting that sits in a shallow suiban (no holes pot) The roots of the 3 junipers run down the rock and into gravel in the suiban and they are thriving despite no drain holes for around 8 years now. The shallow tray dries out most days so I guess that's why no problems with root rot yet. The shallow water reservoir probably gives these trees some water through the day because otherwise they each only have around a teaspoon of muck each which dries out in half an hour most days.

I would be prepared to give this bowl planting a go. If you can get some roots over to the statue body I'd try wrapping the body in plastic wrap or alfoil. Provided the root tips stay damp they will grow. The wrap will direct growth down along the contours of the statue and into the soil below.
That was how I saw it in my head. The bowl is almost a false planting and would serve just asna means to elevate the tree allowing the roots to be featured. Thank you.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The statue is resin and not solid.
While you see this as a plus, it is not. The weather, water, roots will deteriorate it to a point that it will end up falling apart. David Cortizas from Spain did a few like that, "time lost" he called them. He ended up finding one of solid bronze, which he loves because of the patina it develops. Two different Buddha plantings, two different techniques to use. The first video is old and have no CC, the second one you can set to autogenerated CC in English.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While you see this as a plus, it is not. The weather, water, roots will deteriorate it to a point that it will end up falling apart. David Cortizas from Spain did a few like that, "time lost" he called them. He ended up finding one of solid bronze, which he loves because of the patina it develops. Two different Buddha plantings, two different techniques to use. The first video is old and have no CC, the second one you can set to autogenerated CC in English.

ty for this. something to watch at work, I mean lunch lol.

Top Bottom